"Best" tires for stock is weaves??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Best" tires for stock is weaves??

Hi, I am really totally in the dark about "good" tires for a 1988 325is, even after doing some searches. I have always just purchased whatever tires for my other cars/daily drivers.

Is there a size/brand/model that works well with the 14x6.5 rims? Kinda like the H&R springs/bilsteins setup is a good starting point for suspensions?

I am running stock suspension right but that might change. Is it possible I could do a track day or autocross but for right now just spirited street driving.

Thanks for any ideas, I realize this is an open-ended question but hopefully I can get pointed in right direction... Tim

Eh. I am looking at the Falken 912 tires. I think they look really good and reasonable for what they are. Never driven on them though.

195/65/14 is the stock tire size for weaves I believe.
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
      Eh. I am looking at the Falken 912 tires. I think they look really good and reasonable for what they are. Never driven on them though.

195/65/14 is the stock tire size for weaves I believe.
      great tires
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
        great tires
        So I hear I'm hoping I like them. Thanks for the input.
        Originally posted by z31maniac
        I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

On my weaves I have a new set of Falken 512s in 195/60/14. The 512 is the previous generation of the 912, essentially, and I'm very happy with them so far. Good dry traction and great wet traction.

Edit: Yes, 195/65/14 is the stock tire size for weaves. I got 195/60s because it was what they had and was much cheaper than custom-ordering.

Body roll+perspective=the poor man's drop

Comment

mickey thompson ET streets

Comment

Back when I used to run 14" basketweaves, I liked Falken Azenis Sport RT-215. These have been replaced by the Azenis RT-615.

You can get the RT-615 in 195/60-R14 for around $65 each if you look online. You won't find a better tire than that for the price. You should also check out the Hankook Ventus R-S2, which are $75 each in that size at TireRack.
              sigpic
              1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
              2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I guess I should stick with stock size as well?

Is there any advantage between going with either the 60 or 65 aspect ratios?

Comment

225/50-14 Hoosier A6.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
                    Cool, thanks for the ideas. I guess I should stick with stock size as well?

Is there any advantage between going with either the 60 or 65 aspect ratios?
                    The 60 will corner better at a slight reduction of ground clearance and your speedo will read slightly faster than actual (not a bad thing). I agree with the Falken Azenis 615 - Awesome grip (though less than current big$ autoX tires) and they last 15K if you're not too hard on them.
                    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

The RT615 has great sidewalls and is very grippy (I've ridden in an E30 with 195 section RT615s and that the oshit handle was not enough)

But it's noisy, it won't last that long and it will lose most of its grip after 3/4 of its life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                        The RT615 has great sidewalls and is very grippy (I've ridden in an E30 with 195 section RT615s and that the oshit handle was not enough)

But it's noisy, it won't last that long and it will lose most of its grip after 3/4 of its life.
                        uh, most tires will lose grip when they are down to 25%...
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          uh, most tires will lose grip when they are down to 25%...
                          Supposedly the RT615s are pretty bad.

Comment

Definity HX700

they are cooper tires renamed by pep boys. cheap, excellent tires. they are loud though

Comment

I have 2 cars with ZE-912s and they suck in the rain. You have to tread lightly on the gas when driving in the rain. My son did a Street Survival in his e30 w/ the ZE-912s and they looked bad at the end of the day. All of the tread blocks were rounded off. Also, if you have any negative camber in the suspension at all the inner tread wears very fast.
                              I have a set of 195/60/14 RT-615s for autoX. They do well in the rain as long as you don't hit any puddles. They are down to the wear bars now and the dry grip has never been better.

You may want to look at the Fuzion HRi. I'm running a set of the ZRi on 15" euroweaves and they really do well except in the cold. If the ZRi are any indication, the HRi ought to be decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X