Touring’s and suspension upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touring’s and suspension upgrades

Looking for suggestions on suspension upgrades for 6-cylinder Touring’s, for canyon driving and occasional track days.

I’m thinking H&R Sport’s (Touring-specific), Koni SA’s, and maybe a set of 22+18mm H&R sway bars, on 16” wheels running 205/50’s.

Any recommendations or experiences to share?

Sounds fine, but with a bit more budget you might get a set of coils, that way you can in theory move the handling characteristics around a bit and let you pick your compromise between utility/handling. Also, you can skip the touring specific springs, unless they have become much easier to source lately.

Rear alignment adjustment would also be a great addition.

Comment

I already have the Touring specific H&R Sports. Super easy to find. Bought em new from TunerShop.

Biggest question I have is really about the sway bars. Are they a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade? And do they change the balance of the Touring, which I think has 20mm front and 13.5mm rear bars, factory.

Comment

Can't say how it would impact a touring if you went from stock to H&R bars, but even going from stock bars on a 91 318i sedan to both large new factory bars was clearly noticeable. Also, with the possibility to adjust the H&R set (if that's still a feature) I'm sure they won't negatively impact much. If I had to guess, the ability to play with the bars would be a plus with the fixed rates of the sport springs.

Comment

Ok thanks. Where’s your Touring? Got any pics?

Comment

Please don't take offense if you're already way past me here, but:

I've found amazing improvements just by refreshing all of the underside rubber parts: sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, shock mounts, rear subframe mounts, etc.

Are those all good on your car?

Comment

I'd love to know more about this stuff as well. I've been contemplating the Koni + H&R route (or the Billys+Eibachs), but it does seem like when you do install these aftermarket suspensions, they lower your car, and then you need to do a bunch of other modifications to complement those: adjustable rear subframes to compensate for screwy alignment, adjustable tie rod ends, different bushings for subframes, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Comment

No, unless you have some other significant issue, like worn out bushings, or bent components, a typical "sport" spring should keep your static alignment within reason, even if slightly beyond technical spec. A compromise if you do not want much lowering at all is something like an H&R OE Sport spring.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                  maybe a set of 22+18mm H&R sway bars
                  What would this sway bar setup achieve in terms of handling characteristics? More oversteer, more understeer, more neutral handling balance, none of the above?

Comment

Working...
                  X