Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

45k miles: I just picked up this e34- 1989 535i :: Restore/ paint project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45k miles: I just picked up this e34- 1989 535i :: Restore/ paint project thread

I just got this 89' e34 535i from across town.
    Paid $950.

Engine sounds strong. It has real low miles, 45k, based on the miles it has likely been sitting for a while.
    Body is straight, good condition Zender kit. Paint condition is poor.

Interior is 8.5/10, carpet is damp though. Likely from cracked windshield. I will also be checking rain gutters and sunroof seal. Door seals are tight, as is trunk seal-
    (any other ideas?)

Plan it to get it running top notch, clean up the interior, address any common e34 electrical issues, and of course- paint.

Here is what it looked like when I got it- check out the sweet GOLD!

Last edited by ethirtydavid; 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM.

Wow, clean and low mileage!

Remove the gold fender trim ASAP! lol.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Literally the first thing I did.. lol. That gold was badd, had gold license plate frames too.
      535i badge, kidneys.. even the roundels are gold on this car.
      I think this e34 was baller in the 90's though-

Comment

Originally posted by ethirtydavid View Post
        I think this e34 was baller in the 90's though-
        It was. My sister's now ex husband had a bronze one. I got to drive it when I was 16 = baller, lol.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

That gold stuff is actually real rare EURO/ALPINA/M stuff lol
          Good start OP!
          sigpic

Comment

you gonna do a 5-speed swap?

Comment

Definitely do a manual swap. That car is begging for it. Looks like a solid car might need a little work,but nice score.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks brutus-

I hadn't actually thought about it.. but I'd consider doing a 5 speed swap in the summer time.
                I just got some fuel lines swapped out and new oil. Found the water is leaking in around the windshield- This is fine though because the glass is cracked and gasket looks dry. I'll be needing a new windshield anyways.
                I would have rather replaced it during the paint phase, maybe I'll 'reinforce' the seal and buy some time for a few months. so wet outside ....

I've got a beefy heat blower, plan to dry the carpet tomorrow.
                The car already looks like shit from the outside. Is electrical tape around windshield way too ghetto?
                (I might not care about the answer ;))

Comment

holy low miles!!:crazy:

Comment

Holy fuck David, looks awesome. I saw that one on CL a few weeks back and was considering it. Glad you grabbed it! Would look very nice with full black M5 interior.

As for the paint, try buffing it first. Worth a shot, for sure.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Wow. A sweet find.

Comment

That should be single stage and it will probably buff out pretty well. However, if you are already planning on painting it, I would go ahead and do a nice base/clear paint job on it.
                        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Thanks guys. Definitely gonna spend some time buffing and see where it leaves me. Still, I am totally open to options for paint.
                          I have a lot of experience with a paint gun painting houses- nothing in the automotive scene.

As I start planning, it will be quite helpful to hear what some of you paint guys think about what steps to take. paging vlad? (is that overplayed yet?)

Comment

I'll fill in for Vlad. There is a MAACO down the street. I'll have my guys work on it. 5Gs?

Comment

Originally posted by CabrioPunk View Post
                              I'll fill in for Vlad. There is a MAACO down the street. I'll have my guys work on it. 5Gs?
                              But first make out a check to me for 2k, kthx.
                              sigpic
                              -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Working...
                              X