Yes or no m62 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes or no m62 swap?

I've heard good and I've heard bad about m62's. I'm looking to build I high torque high revving motor that is NA. I have an 83 533i. It's either that or an LS swap I can't decide but I'd prefer to keep it BMW for a motor if possible.

Friend of mine (BMW4Aaron on mye28) did an M60 swap with 6sp into an e28. Look it up, it was amazing.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Looks dope but my question is for the money is it going to b worth it? I wanna keep it simple but powerful, basic mods like and intake set up (possibly ITB's if I can find them) a chip, and a nice full exhaust. I want something powerful but reliable. ( as does every other human with a little more the a fraction of a brain who drives a car)

Comment

LS swap would probably be the way to go for you. Simple, powerful, easily modded. I'm all for a BMW V8 e28 though. I like sticking with swaps within manufacturers.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I am working on an M60 swap currently. If you want an M62 swap, I don't see whty you shouldn't just go for an M60 swap, it will save you a world of trouble in trying to convert to OBD1.

Here is a link to the aforementioned guy's swap thread if you haven't found it already.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
            LS swap would probably be the way to go for you. Simple, powerful, easily modded. I'm all for a BMW V8 e28 though. I like sticking with swaps within manufacturers.
            Problem w/ LS swap is that it will be 10x more expensive. So far I can't find an LS1/T56 for less than like $4k. You can pick up a wrecked 540i for dirt these days (I picked up mine for $800), and E34 530i 5-speed transmissions aren't made of gold either. I got one of those for $150. Now all I need is a little fab work, which will be easy for me (access to a full machine shop in addition to any other basic metal fabbing tools I will need, like welders, torches, cutters, grinders, mills, lathes, etc etc)

Comment

swap

I'm doing the swap now. Got the motor yesterday. Have a 1983 BMW 533i with auto. I got a 97 740il with the 4.4 m62. Getting ready to lay everything out. Contemplating swapping the complete subframe. Or at least changing to a rack and pinion steering to avoid manifold issues.
              2006 745I
              1983 533I
              2012 vw jetta tdi
              1986 vw jetta
              1990 vw corrado g60
              1973 MB SL450

Comment

Originally posted by 533im62 View Post
                I'm doing the swap now. Got the motor yesterday. Have a 1983 BMW 533i with auto. I got a 97 740il with the 4.4 m62. Getting ready to lay everything out. Contemplating swapping the complete subframe. Or at least changing to a rack and pinion steering to avoid manifold issues.

Please keep updated with any issues or pointers

Comment

Originally posted by russhixmo View Post
                  I've heard good and I've heard bad about m62's. I'm looking to build I high torque high revving motor that is NA. I have an 83 533i. It's either that or an LS swap I can't decide but I'd prefer to keep it BMW for a motor if possible.
                  High torque high revving and simple and cheap does not compute ...
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by 533im62 View Post
                    Make a separate swap thread in here. What trans are you thinking of pursuing? Are you going to OBD1 convert the M62?

Comment

Well, you can always grab an LM7 if you don't mind the heavier engine. $500 tops.

Comment

i wanna see a B44 e28 so bad.... i would love to see that. any v8 e28 is sick...
                        1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
                        1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
                        1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
                        guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
                        Originally posted by ak-
                        Must of slid into Rob

Comment

I'm all down for the idea but I have no idea as far as money goes what I should look to spend or where I should even look for one, eBay isn't my friend, and Craigslist near me is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by russhixmo View Post
                            I'm all down for the idea but I have no idea as far as money goes what I should look to spend or where I should even look for one, eBay isn't my friend, and Craigslist near me is empty.
                            I am selling a '94 540i for $800, it has the M60B40 in it, but Nikasil and w/ 200k miles... I bought the car to be a donor, but I think I will keep looking for an Alusil car w/ less miles.

Comment

5 speed?

Comment

Working...
                              X