What is this e28 with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this e28 with?

I found somebody selling an 87 528e automatic with 371k on the clock. The body looks really clean some light surface rust in the wheel wells. Interior is the basic vinyl tan non recaros. But very clean. When the guy jumped it it started up fine, but smoked a bit as its been sitting for a while. It had very loud valve taps if that's what it really is. The shift cable seems stretched and the coolant res was bone dry. I could t take pics as it was dark out. Any ideas????

Worth!

Comment

[ATTACH]59099[/ATTACH]

Comment

Timing belt?
        Blower motor noise?
        UCAB trashed?
        stock radio make the wonderful noise?
        any history on repairs etc?

Looks like they added the IS front spoiler and fogs at one point.

No 528E came stock with "sport" seats.535I did not as a well.535IS got the sport seats for the 87 year. Eazy fix Use E30 Sport seats.

eta coolant overflow tanks Will crack if brown.
        Would you buy a car that had no coolant in it???

A mint condtion eta goes for about 2800 on a good day.
        while the foto above looks nice, I dont think its mint.

$1500 TOPS,and thats if they can proove that the AC Works,and the car is in better to great shape.

If it needs a tune up,upper arms,tires. $900

Comment

The guy knows nothing about the car, I asked him about the timing belt. The car was sold to him from a friend a while ago and sat there with no use.

Didn't check a/c or blower motor

It has a after market radio... :(

What's a Ucab?

Comment

Upper control arm bushings. They cause the "death wobble".
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

How hard/how much are they to fix? My biggest concern is it has no tags do I can't drive it and the potential noise of the loud diesel sounding like valve tap. It has 4 brand new tires and talked him down to $725

Comment

Originally posted by Tree25 View Post
                How hard/how much are they to fix? My biggest concern is it has no tags do I can't drive it and the potential noise of the loud diesel sounding like valve tap. It has 4 brand new tires and talked him down to $725
                It's better that they tap than are silent. Silent valves are burnt valves.

Just get new upper control arms...hell....I'd redo the ENTIRE suspension. Every rubber bit is probably gone. Valve adjustment will quite the valves. That's like 20 minutes and a valve cover gasket.

You're going to spend more than the purchase price on suspension bits, but you'll have a suspension that will last at least another 150k, well, minus the UCABS, they drop out frequently unless you get some Moosehead rebuildable ones.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

$725 is a good deal. The whole suspension can be changed in a weekend for the first timer.
                  the hardest part is removing the steering knuckle. Also a picklefork will be needed for the tie rods.I saw that someone was selling a upgraded RD kit,BUY THat kit and you WONT Be sorry. yes its a overkill for a slushbox eta but sooo worth it.

Are you sure the tires are new? check the datecode! JUST CAUSE They have meat doesnt mean they are good,dry rotting is evil.
                  BUT if they are new, tires cost around $80 a pop so thats a chunk of change already saved,even if they are crappy state brand.
                  if they are Pirelli,bridgestone then you are in great shape.

Comment

non 88 auto eta? i hope your not paying more than $1200 for it.
                    1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
                    1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
                    1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
                    guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
                    Originally posted by ak-
                    Must of slid into Rob

Comment

$500...it's a e28 ETA AUTO with rust and buttload of miles...that needs work... LOL
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Even at such a low price, how do you know that the timing belt won't snap in the first week of ownership? Its been sitting, and regardless what the owner says, records speak. If you plan to drive it home, and do the timing belt that day, beware!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X