Gauging Interest: 5 speed shift surround ABS plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauging Interest: 5 speed shift surround ABS plastic

Problem: There seems to be a shortage of 5 speed shift surrounds. Wood ones are usually cracked or faded and look like crap. The super nice M5 ones are no longer available.

Solution: I have access to industrial ABS plastics from Piedmont Plastics here in San Diego through a business contact. I want to make simple yet quality shift surrounds that will last. Likely they will be laser cut. I will start working on a template if there is enough interest.
    (not my pic)

Product will be cut from Acrylite FF 4mm thick. Description can be found here
    http://www.piedmontplastics.com/all-...lic-sheet.aspx

To cut costs they will all look similar to this although there will be no fabric or covering material on the prototypes. Likely the new surrounds will not have the feet that fit into the center console. The new piece will tension fit into the console tray. ( this is my only solution so far as I may have other ideas)

-Shift boots will be up to you. (all e30 and 34 boots will work)
    - Price will be somewhere in the $20 dollar range + shipping.
    - Only 1 color (black)
    - ABS plastic can be covered with material for custom/ more OEM look.
    - 535 templates w/ cutouts or switch holes will NOT be made in the first run. I could make them later if there is interest.

What say you 5er dudes?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

FYI, I bought my M5 surround earlier this year for $55. Unless they have gone NLA since then, they are still available.

Here is the part umber I used (Black): 51162237023

Your idea would be great for those not wanting the M5 surround though. Honestly though, I'm surprised you can make them for $20.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
      FYI, I bought my M5 surround earlier this year for $55. Unless they have gone NLA since then, they are still available.

Here is the part umber I used (Black): 51162237023

Your idea would be great for those not wanting the M5 surround though. Honestly though, I'm surprised you can make them for $20.
      I think they have gone NLA since then as I cannot find anywhere that is selling them. Would love to buy the m5 surround!!

Price is really based on cost of material. If I buy in bulk the $20 price will be set in stone.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

M5 is NLA. Not sure why a flat piece of ABS would be any different then a used factory part with broken tabs. That seems to be the only thing that really goes wrong with them. Reupholstey is no big deal. I'm not trying to be a dick. Just curious what I'm missing.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
          M5 is NLA. Not sure why a flat piece of ABS would be any different then a used factory part with broken tabs. That seems to be the only thing that really goes wrong with them. Reupholstey is no big deal. I'm not trying to be a dick. Just curious what I'm missing.
          the main issue here is that I anything decent (even a 525i 5speed shift surround) is really hard to find.

maybe im just looking in the wrong places?

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Gotcha. Arent the flat pieces still available? I know several part numbers are available but none of the contoured M5 ones to my knowledge. I just recovered mine in my 525i in vinyl. Came out ok. IIRC all my clips are busted so it just sits in there with the shift boot and tension holding it in place. I just looked at the part numbers for a new one and they look to be in the $75 range so you may be on to something for those that don't have anything there all together.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
              Gotcha. Arent the flat pieces still available? I know several part numbers are available but none of the contoured M5 ones to my knowledge. I just recovered mine in my 525i in vinyl. Came out ok. IIRC all my clips are busted so it just sits in there with the shift boot and tension holding it in place. I just looked at the part numbers for a new one and they look to be in the $75 range so you may be on to something for those that don't have anything there all together.
              Im not sure if the flat parts are still available. If I had a manual one Id just recover it like you did and run it. But i cant even find a manual shift surround haha.

Not really too excited about paying 80 bucks for a new one either so I dont know.

I guess ill just make one and see how it comes out. Worth a shot I suppose!

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Sent Blunt some part numbers to find out what was available. Black M5 surrounds are all NLA (several different part number). Not sure about other colors.

The non-M5 flat pieces are available in various colors as well:

Black - 51161949731 Germany 68.84
                Silver - 51168138047 Germany 68.84
                Tan - 51168138050 USA 58.84

These are NLA.
                Blue - 51168138049
                Light Silver - 51168138446
                Wood - 51168136286

Once again, I didn't check all of the part numbers as there are several.

Comment

I'd be interested.

Comment

M5 shift surrounds are NOT all NLA!!!! Only the ones with the ASC cutout and certain colorways. No offense to Blunttech but they told me the same thing and I was able to order a Schwarz vinyl covered one from my local dealer the next day.

Comment

I ordered a black m5 surround from blunt back in June or so and they were in stock but now are not, so things have changed recently. I think it is going to depends on if the place you order it from still has them in stock. BMW does not.

Comment

I just double checked since I looked last week and found them all to be NLA. What I found was the 023 part number for black is NLA. It has been NLA since earlier this year. I did however find a leather nature version still available. Only 3 left. I put one on rush order to verify it is what I think it is and that it is still available. Other then those 3 on the 028 number I see no additional part numbers that are still available for the M5 specific tray in any color. If someone knows otherwise please enlighten me as I would really like to pick up a couple.
                        Last edited by SpecRaceM5; 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

great work on digging part #s guys. I really would like to get one of those m5 surrounds in black... (oh well) Until then I picked up a bit of material today so Im going to make one or two and see how things turn out. Ill post up here and see what everyone thinks.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Working...
                          X