what is this s38 worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this s38 worth?

I am looking to buy this s38. The motor has been sitting on a pallet for the last 8 years. The engine has 97,000 miles verified by carfax. I am only getting the long block no intake no ITB's no accessories. What would you guys pay for it? I don't want to over pay.
    6 by david bunch, on Flickr

Pics of motor. Plus why S38?

Hope this helps...

Last edited by henryki; 02-14-2014, 12:30 PM. Reason: Adding links.

Comment

David is it a b35 or b36?
      Last edited by e30m3s54turbo; 02-14-2014, 07:12 PM.
      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
        David is it a b35 or b36?
        ^This is a Important question.

It all depends on how well the compression is.
        I would be prepaired to rebuild the whole thing if i was you.

97k on a 25 year old motor,with no oil? The guides are all brittle i thinks?

BTW Dont trust carfax,They said my car was never in a accident. HAHA NOT fail, my rear end has so been rebuild.

Comment

Its a b35 was rear ended about 7 years ago. Its at a bmw dealership in the back room. I was thinking about rebuilding it as a spare he wants $3200 for the block and head only. what do you think?

Comment

3200 with no ITBs / accessories is too much for a b35 IMO Before you know it, it will be a 5k engine. For that you can grab a b36/38 or s54.

Comment

In San Diego there is a euro s38 b38 for sale. I went on Saturday to check it out. I decided not to buy it.

I think $3200 is to high for a long block.
              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Yeah that's a lot for a b35.
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Do you enjoy life? Do you have a wife? Do you like to go out have fun with friends? If so, buying that engine is a surefire way to eliminate all three! I can't tell you what that engine is worth, but I can tell you that BMW quoted me $1600 per throttle body (they come in pairs) which are out of stock everywhere anyway. They don't have them in Germany, either. The intake plenum and air box are going to be equally hard to find and probably cost you over a grand used as well. Now as far as the rebuilding... If you do it yourself (which you don't really want to do, even as a motor head,) you're looking at 5-7k worth of parts. If you have a shop do it, you're looking at 5-7k without parts. So all in all, that's 10-14k before you drop another few grand on the air box, intake plenum, ITB's, and whatever other accessories you need.

Think of your family.
                  Think of your friends.
                  Think of the bad ass vacation you can have with that kind of cash.

Don't do this to yourself.

Comment

^^ That lol, occasionaly the ITB's and Plenum set up go FS on mye28 for about 800... but thats like twice a year if you are lucky, and quick to pick them up.

Comment

My guess is this would be a spare for his M5. If that is the case he won't need the external odds and ends. That being said though I wouldn't tell the seller that. Use the lack of external goodies in your favor for negotiations. It really all comes down to how much you have to throw at it. Personally I think $3200 could be better spent on maintenance for the motor you already have as well as the rest of the car. If it was $3200 for a complete M5 then you could pick it up. Take what you need and part the rest to offset the cost. That is a good chunk of change though for an engine with no intake and no accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
                        My guess is this would be a spare for his M5. If that is the case he won't need the external odds and ends. That being said though I wouldn't tell the seller that. Use the lack of external goodies in your favor for negotiations. It really all comes down to how much you have to throw at it. Personally I think $3200 could be better spent on maintenance for the motor you already have as well as the rest of the car. If it was $3200 for a complete M5 then you could pick it up. Take what you need and part the rest to offset the cost. That is a good chunk of change though for an engine with no intake and no accessories.

Brian's right it be a spare motor I can build on the side for my m5. Thanks for the input I decide not to buy

Comment

No problem. I had to pass on the 3.8 Raul mentioned as well. Price was a little high and I have other places the money can go before I pick up frills.

Comment

I've got spare ITBs and Plenum for a B35 if anyone needs em.

Comment

Small OT,,

all S38 parts are going skyhigh on the internet at the moment,, these parts are getting more and more individual,,

IMO,, the B35 is the least of all bigblock IL6 24v,, but as a EURO version M88/3 ((single chain driven,, more ponies but same torque)) the E24/E28 M/// cars are getting their value kept well ..

i sold a totally rebuilt S38B38 for a fair amount,, imo,, and the buyer was not arguing at all,,

spareparts and etc etc cost a lot,,

IMO the S38B38 is the greatest,, but perhaps the S54 is the best
                              Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                              ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                              E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

Working...
                              X