No announcement yet.

I had to buy it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress report: The interior is pulled from the silver car and boxed up, carpet is ordered from stockinteriors.com. The dash is installed in the black car, the bmw alarm is swapped into the black car.The pedals are swapped into the black car. We had to put a little fiberglass patch on the the dash hvac ductwork. Two great days spent with Dad.

sigpic

Comment

Pulled the subframe for a rebus today and found some rot. Looks like I'll be doing some more repairs. Tomorrow I hope to get the under coating and paint pulled off to expose the extent of the rot

On another note, I have contacted MM and they are sending the chip I need to run this thing with a 1.3 setup. And we have been able to insulate about 75% of the garbage and are installing a wood stove soon.
      sigpic

Comment

dug into it a little deeper, all in all its not so bad.[URL=http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/bmwstudent/media/DSCN0679_zpsia1spsec.jpg.html][/URL
        I'll be cutting out and replacing all rot with new metal, and repairing any other issues inside the rocker as well
        Also picked up from I.E. rear poly subframe bushings, stock control arm bushings, and adjustable camber and toe setting weld in adjusters. Will be doing this soon
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
          dug into it a little deeper, all in all its not so bad.[URL=http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/bmwstudent/media/DSCN0679_zpsia1spsec.jpg.html][/URL
          I'll be cutting out and replacing all rot with new metal, and repairing any other issues inside the rocker as well
          Also picked up from I.E. rear poly subframe bushings, stock control arm bushings, and adjustable camber and toe setting weld in adjusters. Will be doing this soon
          You have some very cool cars, the blazer looks mint! And indeed e28's are way cooler then e30's haha. I wish my dad would team up and work on old bimmers with me. Very interested in how you are going to fix the rot on the rear axle mounts, mine has rot in exactly the same spot!

How bad was the rust on the strut towers on the e24?
          Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Thanks, and yes the blazer is mint. Its an 88 k5 with only 77k miles. I got it from the original owner who always garaged it. Ill post up some pics of the repairs soon. I've already replaced some of the metal..
            The e24 had rust in the towers and the rockers and the the fenders front and rear. It is pretty far gone.
            This is the one of the repair patches that I'm sticking in from above. Ill pu;; it down tight and weld it in. That way nothing is hanging down lower than the original metal.

The other side
            All welded up and ready for cover plate. The metal i used to fill in the holes is the slightly thicker than the original but since it is installed by slipping it in from above and then pulling it down tight and welding it in you'll never know it there. It's very difficult to get the camera to focus on the weld for some reason, i think the reflection screws up the auto focus

URL=http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/bmwstudent/media/DSCN0734_zpsabtgyly3.jpg.html][/URL]
            These are shots of the left inner rocker patch, the last on is the inside of the rocker near the jacking support.
            sigpic

Comment

Great, thanks a lot for the extra pictures!

Starting to weld next week, hopefully we can patch things up.

Do you plan on keeping the us style bumpers? I think they look superb, I might even get me a set of us bumpers one day. Euro stuff is boring for me

1985 e28 520i

Comment

I plan on keeping them but i could source a set for you and we could do a trade. I
                have access to a couple e28 shells.
                sigpic

Comment

your in Belgium?
                  sigpic

Comment

your in Belgium?
                    Yes I am but I do spend every summer up in Vermont. Mind if I add you as a friend on my profile on r3v? I will shoot you a pm around may before I come over. If there is anything euro specific you need I can always keep an eye out

I'm on a Dutch e28 forum, it's a goldmine for certain parts but very hard to find in e30 crazy belgium

1985 e28 520i

Comment

My grandmother used to have a place in Stowe, Vermont. I used to spend some time at Green Mountain National Forest. There is a beautiful lake up there that is great for camping, very near a waterfall too. Beautiful place. No I don't mind at all, the more friends the better.
                      sigpic

Comment

DISCLAIMER I AM NOT A BODY MAN, DO NOT ASSUME I KNOW WHAT IM DOING. I AM SIMPLY A GUY WITH A WELDER AND SOME TOOLS. IF YOU ARE A BODY PERSON AND SEE ME DOING SOMETHING WRONG SPEAK UP. I would rather know the correct way or a better way if there is one.

So thats two more patches in. I have a few more to do. After they are in I'll go back and grind the welds smooth and blend it in to the body. I've been working on two patches at the same time. That way I can bounce back and forth between the two spots when welding. Otherwise the area gets too hot and it could start to warp. When welding take your time and do small spots then move to the other side and do the same thing. If the car starts to get too warm take a break.
                        sigpic

Comment

My grandmother used to have a place in Stowe, Vermont. I used to spend some time at Green Mountain National Forest. There is a beautiful lake up there that is great for camping, very near a waterfall too. Beautiful place. No I don't mind at all, the more friends the better.
                          Ah great! Been there a couple times, nice town and close to Burlington

We are down close to Saint Johnsburry, right on the border with NH and the nationalparks are indeed amazing, I try to spend as much time as I can hiking whenever I'm over.

Thanks again for the pictures, they are a lifesaver for me! Now to get a build tread started here. E28's are just a never ending source of rust wherever you look, I've had to locate 4 new doors because they were all completely rotten out

1985 e28 520i

Comment

update, little bit of progress. I've been working on two other vehicles too.

This will be getting installed soon.
                            The interior is from Dads six. The new carpet is 90% installed, suspensions are swapped back into the proper cars.
                            sigpic

Comment

that e24 ! what are your plans for that one?
                              1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                              Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                              1967 2002 parts car
                              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

That's dads e24. We are restoring it to its former glory. Stock B35 for now but swapping in a manual. Donor interior came from his 85
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X