Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 M5 Weak points?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    E28 M5 Weak points?

    Hi R3V.

    Im considering buying an E28 M5 thats come up for sale near me, and its pretty cheap since it has trouble with second gear.

    Its a Florida car, and seller claims it has no rust at all, except for a small spot on one of the doors.

    Its gone 146000 miles, with dealer documented service until 90000 miles. It also has a Dinan kit which supposedly consists of cam(s?), chip, air filter and exhaust.

    Anything in particular i should be aware of? Generel E28 weaknesses and such? S38B35 known problems?
    Attached Files
    My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

    #2
    Rust!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
      Rust!!!
      Well ofc. Any known troublesome areas?
      My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

      Comment


        #4
        chain guides,

        Comment


          #5
          Rust around the left rear bumper shock mount is very common. Otherwise the chassis is basically the same as a typical e28. Rust around windows, rust in the trunk, pointless and probably broken SLS. Worn out front links and thrust bushings. Sloppy steering boxes.

          The motor is fancy and takes an appropriate amount of work to be right. Some have problems with heads cracking between valve seats. Burning exhaust valves is not unheard of, but can be found relatively easily during the complicated but necessary shim-based valve adjustment procedure. Chain guides have almost certainly not been done and should be. I've taken a set out of a 188K-mile motor that looked like they were really really ready to go.

          The transmissions frequently have 2nd gear syncro issues and are uncommon and expensive to rebuild, so most people who replace them put in a getrag 265 instead of the 280.
          Last edited by kronus; 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM.
          cars beep boop

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by brickwhite View Post
            chain guides,
            Is this visible through the oil cap? Or is it the "lower" ones?

            Originally posted by kronus View Post
            Rust around the left rear bumper shock mount is very common. Otherwise the chassis is basically the same as a typical e28. Rust around windows, rust in the trunk, pointless and probably broken SLS. Worn out front links and thrust bushings. Sloppy steering boxes.

            The motor is fancy and takes an appropriate amount of work to be right. Some have problems with heads cracking between valve seats. The transmissions frequently have 2nd gear syncro issues and are uncommon and expensive to rebuild, so most people who replace them put in a getrag 265 instead of the 280.
            Thanks for a bunch of great info!
            This one has trouble getting into second, thats why its cheap. Not that afraid to rebuild it it myself, am afraid of the cost though.

            SLS?
            My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Loupoz View Post
              Is this visible through the oil cap? Or is it the "lower" ones?
              it's all three. The lower ones more so than the upper one. You can hear the chain slap pretty distinctly if they're worn.

              Originally posted by Loupoz View Post
              Thanks for a bunch of great info!
              This one has trouble getting into second, thats why its cheap. Not that afraid to rebuild it it myself, am afraid of the cost though.

              SLS?
              SLS = Self Leveling Suspension, a hydraulic abortion of a rear suspension system. most failed in the 90s and have been disabled.
              cars beep boop

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by kronus View Post
                it's all three. The lower ones more so than the upper one. You can hear the chain slap pretty distinctly if they're worn.
                Okay, are they easy to change?

                Originally posted by kronus View Post
                SLS = Self Leveling Suspension, a hydraulic abortion of a rear suspension system. most failed in the 90s and have been disabled.
                Ahh
                My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

                Comment


                  #9
                  Chains and guilds are not easy to change, but not impossible and not cheap... about $1200 in parts and who knows in labor if you paid someone.

                  The S38B35 engine is not cheap to rebuild... I've seen $12k bills on a basic rebuild. And parts are getting harder to find and more expensive.

                  http://metricmechanic.com/m5-m6-engines-s38s88/...

                  mye28.com is a good place for M5 info

                  Example...

                  lower guide is $300....

                  https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m5-11311309945
                  Last edited by brickwhite; 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by brickwhite View Post
                    not easy to change, and not cheap... about $1200 in parts and who knows in labor if you paid someone.
                    Only gonna be parts cost thats a problem for me, thats bad enough though.

                    What not easy about changing them? There is no VANOS or anyhting?
                    My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

                    Comment


                      #11
                      S38 was so pre Vanos think 70's....E28 are very simple but have old style fuse boxes and chassis's were not designed for any semblance of winter duty. Must have reverted back to Ferrous Oxide, shame I like them.

                      They have been a languishing classic that only recently have started climbing in value.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

                      Comment


                        #12
                        They are sturdy cars but rust is definitely a concern. If it's showing any then you can bet there's more hiding in other areas. I agree on the chain guides as well. At the very least get the S50/S52 timing chain tensioner installed right away and check for signs of guide disintegration.

                        If that's the car and you get it, let me know if you ever decide to get rid of those wheels.
                        1966 230SL /// 1983 635CSi /// 1988 M5 /// 1989 951 /// 1995 M3

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by brickwhite View Post
                          Chains and guilds are not easy to change, but not impossible and not cheap... about $1200 in parts and who knows in labor if you paid someone.

                          The S38B35 engine is not cheap to rebuild... I've seen $12k bills on a basic rebuild. And parts are getting harder to find and more expensive.

                          http://metricmechanic.com/m5-m6-engines-s38s88/...

                          mye28.com is a good place for M5 info

                          Example...

                          lower guide is $300....

                          https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m5-11311309945
                          I really hate the "15 THOUSAND DOLLAR ENGINE REBUILDS SOOOOON" meme

                          My S38 had bad valve guides, a cracked valve and worn chain guides. I did all the disassembly and assembly work myself, paid for parts and head machining only. Spent about $2500 total.

                          http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=1316604#p1316604
                          cars beep boop

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Loupoz View Post
                            What not easy about changing them? There is no VANOS or anyhting?
                            you can't swap the bottom one without either cutting a bunch of it off or pulling the head
                            cars beep boop

                            Comment


                              #15
                              nice build thread on my28, hadn't seen that before. Any reason you didn't go with b36 cams while you had it apart?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X