Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeler/FS/Partout: 88 535is - Testing the Waters (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeler/FS/Partout: 88 535is - Testing the Waters (Pic Heavy)

The thread title says it all. I have found a decent deal on a much cleaner car that needs all the same work as mine does, only it looks better and has a very desirable color scheme :)

So here it goes.
    If you want a car that starts up, moves down the road on it's own power, rattles, body rolls, creaks, whistles (45+ MPH, whoa!), bounces sometimes, and did I mention it rattles? Then you might want to keep reading. If you want a car that has paint issues on the horizontals, is rusty in some places and solid in others, has a spray painted rustoleum metallic black hood, has rusty fenders and doors, but dead solid floors, you just may be in luck. If you're looking to swap some fire breathing dragon into a car won't be devalued by you doing so, here's your cue. If you want a car that is guaranteed to come home waving the $2000 rule flag in your face, keep reading. If you're into peeling clearcoat and faded diamond schwartz paint, want to jump into an half way decent pearl beige interior and stare through a few rock chips in a windshield that sits just above the desert floor of a dash, well then step right up and have a look at this one. If all of this sounds like a good time for you, then by all means, have at it folks!

Now that I have everyone's attention, let me introduce you all to my 1988 535is, 5spd - Diamond Schwartz(clearcoat got up and left sometime in the 90's I assume) over Pearl Beige. Not a very pretty car, but it's worked out ok for me thus far. I'm looking to get some money for it whether it comes in form of parting it or if someone is interested in it as a whole.

Odometer stopped around 190k, was replaced with a 16k mile cluster (by the PO). Cluster now reads 26k. My best guess is that it's somewhere just north of 200k miles

Good:
    Solid power still. Stock m30b34. Pulls strong, no hiccups.
    Smooth at crusing speeds. Freeway it feels like a cloud almost. (See suspension details below)
    Blizzak tires on Migglia 1000 wheels (pictured) Still good for at least another season. Only tires I've got right now.
    All the dash lights work. Replaced all with LED (all but the right turn signal bulb, won't take my LED for some reason)
    I found a slip of paper in the trunk with compression numbers, no clue how old, but I can send you those numbers if wanted.
    Previous owner replaced entire fuel system from front to back. (See gas tank issue below)
    Bilstein shocks on the rear, newer (or so the PO said).
    AC Works - Not sure if its R12 or converted, but it's cold enough for me.
    Interior is a conservative 5.4/10 with great potential with a redye/thorough cleaning
    OBC is 100% functioning with remote control on the stalk
    Rewired for a head unit with professional connections for easy removal and install of new radio (done by myself, not some hack at BB or the likes). Bypassed the stock AMP so the head unit runs all speakers including tweeters (head unit currently installed, but would be removed upon sale)
    H4 headlamps. (Also have H1 high beams to install but they are still in a box in my basement.)
    Valve Adjustment Done less than 1000 miles ago (was my first, so could probably use another)
    Replaced spark plugs with OEM Bosch from Blunt
    Also should mention, all the parts I've replaced were purchased form Blunt or the dealer down the road (aside from the brakes)

Parts I've replaced:
    Spring-Winter 2012
    Water Pump, T-Stat, housing, upper and lower hoses, Radiator removed and Flushed clean, replaced cracked T under intake with brass barbed T fitting, filled with distilled water and BMW Blue
    Newer Exhaust setup - Dual 1.75" center section flanged to a a stock rear section. Sounds ok, still has a leak at the downpipe connection. Would be perfect with that buttoned up. Down pipes are pitted and need some help.
    Fixed the cluster - all gauges work as intended. Gas gauge reads a little funny, I've read it's pretty typical in these cars.
    Brake Master Replaced with working used unit (Still have an ABS light and a funny pedal upon start up, once the light kicks on it smooths out, likely a wheel speed sensor, really have no idea)
    Reman caliper on the front driver side (I think, one of the fronts for sure)
    All new rotors/pads, bled/flushed brakes.
    New voltage regulator on the alternator (still has issues in the cold and doesn't charge immediately upon start up, might be on its way out)
    New intake boot/elbow with other various rubber hoses replaced
    New battery (with some less than sepctacular wiring to hook it up)
    New power steering belt
    New AC Belt
    New Alternator/fan belt
    New door bumpers all around (little rubber caps for the latches)
    Replaced a broken headlight switch bezel when I first got the car
    New diff mount - 528e mount because stronger. lol
    Installed the Hella H4 low beams, still have the Ciebe H1's in a box.

And now the dreaded list of bad:
    Needs suspension. Everywhere (maybe not the rear shocks, but DEFINITELY the fronts and all bushings need replacing front and rear.
    Like I said up there, it rides smoooooth on the freeway, but when I hit a bump, it feels like its going to rattle down around me sometimes. Which is why I've been actively buying parts and gathering them to install all at once. I planned on getting this kit here from blunt in the summer and refreshing the entire suspension. It would probably benefit even more from some new sway bar bushings and some of Jakes strut bars.
    It needs a gas tank. The seams have rusted. Jake B is giving me his from his e28 so that's actually a non issue.
    The interior is in ok shape. Seats are in tact. There is a small tear in the driver seat on one of the bolsters. They would benefit greatly from a redye or even just a thorough steam clean.
    The dash looks like a desert floor. It's cracked to hell. I have a dash cap that I plan to install. It should spruce it up quite a bit.
    The shifter bushings could probably use replacing. It's pretty notchy when it's cold but once warmed up, no problems at all. Didn't notice it until winter came this year.
    The radio surround could be replaced. It's a little banged up on a corner or two from who knows what. It's pearl beige, people have parts everywhere.
    The windshield has a few chips. It's not desperate to be replaced as I park outside all winter long and they haven't spidered or spread or anything. And trust me, I've got shitty roads I drive everyday, they would have split by now but this glass is hefty, lol
    There are air leaks. Windows seals definitely leak a bit. I've got to be careful when washing the car not to soak the interior.
    The paint and body are this cars downfall. It could use some attention. Faded/peeled/missing clearcoat. Rust on the lower edge of the fenders. Some rust where previous idiots (not I) jacked it up wrong. Nothing rotting through the floors or anything, mainly surface under the car.
    I just painted the hood because I was sick of looking at the primer starting to show through the paint. It's Rustoleum metallic black spray paint with some rustoleum clear rolled on. I still plan on wet sanding it and buffing it out to shine.
    There are some dents to go along with the rust. Mainly the passenger side. Probably a days worth of work with a paintless dent removal guy. Who knows, they are there. A buffer would likely make it all shine up nice, but it doesn't fix the horizontals.
    There is also a nice groove on the roof (along with the non existent clearcoat) from where there was once a wind deflector.
    The fog lights are missing. Not sure if the brackets are back there.
    The front air dam is cracked towards the bottom.
    Oh yeah, it needs to power steering cooling lines replaced. I have the hard lines waiting to go on the car, just haven't got to it. They could be included in the sale if needed. I'm still debating keeping all of the parts I have for future use.

I do have some documentation that I got from the PO as well as what I have kept since my ownership (about a year and a half now) I know I have a bunch of parts waiting to go on the car. These might all be included for the right offer. All around, it's a 15-20 footer. And with some love, it'd be really nice looking, and even more dead reliable than it is. Or you can go for the rat look, fix the suspension and swap a massive fire breathing motor in it and turn circles all day long.

Here are some photos I took just yesterday. I'll link to the whole album because there are a lot.

As for a price for the whole car: I'd like to start out at $2222. I might be high as a kite, who knows. Talk to me.

If I were to part the car I would like to keep the wheels and tires, the 5 speed swap parts and the exhaust system. Everything else would be up for grabs. Interior in in tact, engine, back doors are probably in ok shape, haven't checked too much into them. Fronts and fenders are rusty, trunk lid is dented, spoiler has faded/missing clearcoat, hood could be ok if sanded and painting, air dam is cracked but might be fixable? Not sure. Engine is all there and running with video proof. Cluster is 100% working and reads somewhere around 26k miles. Other interior bits are in decent shape, door cards are clean, back seats ok. Rear shocks might be worth something to someone.

Here is the whole album: http://s18.photobucket.com/user/bteh...28%20-%20535is
    If it prompts for a password, try: bmw535is

Anyways: Eye Candy (the kind of candy you spit out cuz it wasn't what you expected)

Edit: To add that I'd need to keep the wheels and tires if parting as well.
    Edit: Some more info:

Some more news on this beauty! I wet sanded, polished, and waxed the hood yesterday. That was a near disaster. It feels smooth but it's still not as flat as the rest of the car. Oh well, rattle cans and rollers make it tough to get it that way.

Added some photos to the album but here's a sneak peak.

In other related news: It left a small oil spot on my driveway yesterday when I was idling it for a few minutes. Not sure where this cropped up from but I did have in the air on an angle over the weekend. It's left me a spot before after it sat like that so who knows. Either way, it was there. Checked the oil, topped it off with some Rotella Triple T. Probably time to change it with some 20w50. Last time was 15w40 so....anywho.
    CLICK HERE to buy BMW T-Shirts! 3/5/2002 styles! On sale until May 31st!!

if you decide to part it, I'll take the font IS valence and rear trunk spoiler, maybe the LSD too.

Brick

Comment

If you are parting the car, I need the hood latch/release on the passenger side and the glove box. How much shipped to 60630?

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
      Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

Working...
      X