Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 Coilover suspension DIY (in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that. I have read his whole build thread on stanceworks and it is one of my favorite cars.

Comment

Just ordered a set of Spax shocks for the E28 and a $45 set of ebay Nissan 240SX springs/hats/adjusters.

I will document the install and report on performance, ride quality, etc. If the springs suck, my fallback plan is to get Eibach springs to my spec from Summit Racing at $60 per spring.
      Last edited by iamsam; 03-01-2013, 07:34 AM. Reason: whoops I meant Spax shocks, not springs

Comment

pretty sure the spax springs are stock replacement size, and the 240sx adjusters are for 2.5" springs.

E12, but you get the idea, they are big windings... your adjusters are just going to sit inside them and do nothing. Unless this somehow works for the rear???

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          pretty sure the spax springs are stock replacement size, and the 240sx adjusters are for 2.5" springs.

E12, but you get the idea, they are big windings... your adjusters are just going to sit inside them and do nothing. Unless this somehow works for the rear???
          ha ha oops I meant Spax shocks. I ordered a set of Spax 28-way adjustable E28 specific shocks, and with the cheap ebay springs, I will cobble together an adjustable coilover system. From my research and chats with Paul at Moosehead Engineering, the front Spax shocks, even though being full length (so no chopping/shortening of strut housing) can deal with low rideheight much better than Bilstiens due to shorter internal pistons, and not blow out.

Comment

If your interested in hypercoils I can match the price of those eibach s.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
              If your interested in hypercoils I can match the price of those eibach s.
              Do you have a link to some specs?

Comment

Hyper coils are awesome btw.

Comment

Update, I received my cheesy ebay Civic coilovers, build quality appeared as expected, like they were made very quickly out of standard 6061-T6 aluminum, the cuts aren't the most precise, there was no effort put into finish (machining burrs everywhere, some paint chips on springs), but they should hold up. More info/pics when I start the install.

Spax E28 specific shocks are still in the mail...

Comment

I'd like to take a ride in your car once you get the spax installed. What other E28 suspensions have you owned/rode in to compare the spax to?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      I'd like to take a ride in your car once you get the spax installed. What other E28 suspensions have you owned/rode in to compare the spax to?
                      Absolutely!

So far my E28 suspension experience has been cut stock springs on blown out stock shocks, and BavAuto springs on used unknown mileage Billy sports.

I am curious to see what the $45 civic ebay coils feel like...

Comment

Any updates?

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
                        Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

Originally posted by 86 325e View Post
                          Any updates?
                          ha ha well, my E28 snapped a t-belt just last weekend, so that has set progress back a bit, my springs and shocks are just sitting in boxes in my garage waiting for the E20 to get a new engine.

...so I will probably be updating my E28 24v swap thread before I update this one, unfortunately...

Comment

So what happened to your old user?

Comment

Originally posted by 86 325e View Post
                              So what happened to your old user?
                              Long story, but here are cliffs

1. Mod threatens to erase my post count, doesn't

2. I mention that he didn't follow through

3. He follows through

4. I start a new account since I have been wanting a username change anyway...

EDIT:

5. Another mod merges my accounts, so every "iamcreepingdeath" post is now a "iamsam" post. ...but my post count didn't come back.
                              Last edited by iamsam; 03-26-2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

lol, I read through the "mod change my name" thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X