Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 Coilover suspension DIY (in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does one know if the spring collars will fit our strut tubes..? or do you just make an adapter to weld on that is the right size?

I am very intested in this!

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      How does one know if the spring collars will fit our strut tubes..? or do you just make an adapter to weld on that is the right size?

You grind down the stock strut collar and just leave a bit there. Or you can get a donut to put around the tube and weld it on.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
        Hmm this is very very good info. So I assume the ebay honda coilover sleeves fit fine on the E28 strut bodies?

Also, do you have pics of the process?

Use a flapper wheel on a grinder to clearance the top of the strut so the sleeve fits tight. It will want to go onto it without this but it hangs up. I would not recommend using a grinder wheel as you may wind up taking to much off.

Comment

So basically honda covic strut tubes are the same circumference/diameter as BMW ones?

Comment

So basically honda covic strut tubes are the same circumference/diameter as BMW ones?
            That would be a good deduction to take from this.

I'm loving this, lol. Gonna slam the GF's red IS ^_^

Comment

all right all right!

Ok so the civic threaded tubes fit over the BMW stuff. Case closed.

Comment

all right all right!

Ok so the civic threaded tubes fit over the BMW stuff. Case closed.
                Remember!!!!!!

Use a flapper wheel on a grinder to clearance the top of the strut so the sleeve fits tight. It will want to go onto it without this but it hangs up. I would not recommend using a grinder wheel as you may wind up taking to much off.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                  That would be a good deduction to take from this.

I'm loving this, lol. Gonna slam the GF's red IS ^_^
                  Do it mang!! I should have taken you for a ride in my e24 when you were down here. It would have you sold. We also finished up that e30 in the garage with the same coil setup, just g60's in the front and camaro gas-a-just in the rear and hot damn does that thing ride good!!!!!!!!!! I am hopefully gonna have the e21 completed this week with the same concept.

Comment

So would billy sports be insufficient damping for these honda coilovers?

Comment

So would billy sports be insufficient damping for these honda coilovers?
                      They would be more than adequate.

Comment

The picture here is a bit dark but you can see where we are grinding down the top of the strut tube with a flapper disk and where the spring perch has been cut down for the collar to rest.

Comment

more pics?

Comment

And note, this works for EVERYTHING. They are all the same size diameter. E12 based stuff e28 based, and e30 based too. Shit, even E3s are the same. Everything should fit to drop these motherfuckers to the frame.

Comment

more pics?
                              Thats all I have right now. I will be pulling it down in a few weeks to put in the custom valved billy struts and will get more pics then. I will also be doing my e21 this week and it is the same concept and will take more detailed pictures then.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                                And note, this works for EVERYTHING. They are all the same size diameter. E12 based stuff e28 based, and e30 based too. Shit, even E3s are the same. Everything should fit to drop these motherfuckers to the frame.
                                I used e30 strut inserts but only bc I got such a good deal on them. Anything you can use for an e03 i.e. g60, ix, mr2 rears, etc. will work as well. Just add 1/2" to 3/4" over the difference they would be in an e30.

Comment

Working...
                                X