Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/C and recirc button not working, but defroster is...da fuq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C and recirc button not working, but defroster is...da fuq?

So, anyone had any experience on this? My first guess is the level of freon (which I will be doing later once I get it on a lift here at work). If that doesn't fix it, maybe a climate control unit or relay? I hate to start throwing parts at it, but just a couple days ago the A/C was working just fine, according to my girlfriend. Any thoughts?
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Found it! I think.

Climate control module behind the dash by the cabin filter. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the air con would kick on for 8-10 seconds and then turn back off. Going to order one and get back to everyone in case this happens to anyone else.

Comment

Same problem, even after installing the new control module. Has anyone had experience with this?

Comment

What do you mean by not working?

Do you mean you push the button in and it doesn't lock it just pops back out?
        Or do you mean that when you push a button in it sits there pushed in doing nothing?

Have you checked to see if there's power at the switch?
        Have you tried a new/different switch?
        Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

There is power at the switch. After I replace the control unit, the AC kicks on and it's fine...for about 8 seconds and then the Compressor and snowflake light (and recirc button) shut off and will not come back on unless I unplug and plug the climate control unit back in (at this point it repeats what I just said). The switches, relay, compressor, and climate control unit are all good. What I do not get is why it will not keep the AC on. There is plenty of freon in the system (I vacuumed and recharged last night at work because that's what I thought what the original problem was). I jumped the pressure switch on the drier and still nothing. This is driving me insane.

Comment

For the record, this is a 92 E34 touring.

Comment

sorry, I keep using that new posts function and winding up in places I don't normally go :|
              Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

It's okay. I am curious to see if I got a bad climate control unit, but it is doing the same thing as the last one so that sort of negates that out. It sounds like I might have to tear out part of the center console to see what's going on in there. Damn. Once I get free time, I will do that and get back to everyone. I have checked everywhere on the internet and I don't see anything that would be directly related to my problem.

Comment

Does the car have Freon in it? The A/C and Recirc options are disabled if the A/C system is not charged (enough to throw a the pressure switch at the dryer at least) Try jumping that sensor and see if that brings it back to life (won't help without a charge though, and you may want to disconnect the A/C Clutch so it does not spin at random)

Comment

Working...
                  X