Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 front suspension noises, diagnosis help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E28 front suspension noises, diagnosis help.

Picked up a $600 528e Super Eta yesterday and drove it home for 600 bucks. Pretty decent car, main problem seems to be the front suspension.

There's a consistent bumping sound from the front right side when applying pressure to the brakes. I suspect it's the upper control arm, but I've never done any suspension work. How tough a job is it to tackle, and how can I diagnose the problem further?

Thanks guys I need to get this thing on the road!

E28 suspension is pretty easy to work on, but if you just picked up a $600 car I would put it on stands and see what is going on. It's pretty easy to diagnose on these cars. They're easier than e30's in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks. It seems pretty straightforward. I pulled the wheel off and couldn't see anything obviously wrong, but as I said I've never done suspension stuff before. I grabbed and pulled on all of the various pieces but nothing wiggled too much. I think I may take it to a Midas or whomever and pay the diagnosis fee, then fix it myself.

It also needs brake pads and a few other little things, after which I will probably sell it. Can't have two projects ya know.

Comment

Upper Control arms are done in a Hour with hand tools taking your dear sweet time,All you need is a 22mm Socket,a breaker bar and a Wrench.
        GO TO A Suspension shop to have a CORRECT DIAG done. they will most likely not charge you,and they will Know what it needs. To check it,Put a pry bar in there and see how much it flex's.

$600 Is a good start,But for that cheap chances are it needs Bushings,and general work. There is a Mod for E28s,From Moosehead engineering, on MYE28 its a pair for around $400.00 It has Reinforced bushings,i am gonna get me a set.

Comment

Also check the brake on the side with the clunk, jiggle the caliper. If I remember correctly there are plastic sliders that the caliper rides on that can go bad. The replacement is brass or bronze.

1983 533i - in the middle of a m30b35 swap
          1986 528e - the DD
          1992 325i Vert

Comment

Could be many things. Does it also make the noise upon take off or turning? Check the strut tower bolts and shock bolts. Could be a bad strut mount as well. Control arms gone bad can also cause vibration and shimmy. Check the brake components as B83M533W stated. Since you picked it up for $600, I would roll up my sleeves and do as much as I could myself to keep the cost down (get a Bentley or something). Paying someone else to do it sorta defeats the purpose of buying cheap coz they can charge whatever they want. My 2 cents.

1995 AW 525iT
            1988 Lachssilber 535is
            2000 AW M5

Comment

Working...
            X