Autotragic trans problems..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autotragic trans problems..

I am trying to help my dads friend out. Recently he dropped off his 1987 535is and said it needed a transmission. He also dropped of a spare ZF 4HP-22 transmission. I decided to drive it to make sure and I am not convinced it needs a trans. I also posted over on mye28 just trying to get more hits.

Problems
    The car will not shift, stays in one gear (which I am assuming it is third). After reading I learned that the car is probably in limp home mode. However there is no warning light illuminated on the dash.

What is also strange is that the D indicating drive will not illuminate on the cluster or the 3 indicating 3rd will not illuminate on the cluster.

So the trans does not slip at all and drives fine, when put into 321 mode I can shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd just fine but not down shift (I am not sure if this is normal). So I am assuming that the solenoids are fine if I can shift in this mode.

When put into economy or sport mode and in drive the car drives forward fine but will not shift at all.

Also the connector on the left side of the trans (the wires going to it) the insulation has been sliced open but no wires cut, the metal wrapping is absent for a new inches-probably another mechanic trying to diagnose.

What I have Tried

Removed the connector from trans, cleaned and put back in securely (locked in). However the connector itself still moves around slightly. Could this affect it?

Checked all fuses and relays, no problems here.

Disconnected battery hoping it would reset ecu and take out of limp mode.

Nothing has worked to my favor thus far so I am turning to you guys. Any ideas? Thank you in advance! I have heard that if the gear indicators aren't functioning properly then the trans automatically goes into limp mode..Is this true and how can I fix this, just replace the cluster?

Replace the EGS module?

Comment

Change it to a 5 speed???????????

Ive had a few E28's automatics,and i never had a Working D on the cluster,and now that i think about it my sisters E34 doesnt either.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
        Replace the EGS module?
        Is the EGS module the same thing as the trans computer? If so I already tried swapping the trans computer to no fix.

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
        Change it to a 5 speed???????????

Ive had a few E28's automatics,and i never had a Working D on the cluster,and now that i think about it my sisters E34 doesnt either.
        If it was my car I would, but he just wants the trans fixed.

Comment

Is there a chart of which clutches go on depending on which gear?

I know that some clutches/bands apply to hold the planetaries and are reused for different gears.. I know that my teacher had brought up one chart where it said which foward clutches go on.

Maybe the bentley or all data has something like that. I am taking auto trans and I still find it difficult to really diagnose, i just know the basic theories sorry

Comment

Had this same exact problem when I first bought my 6. 123 and sport would work fine, but not e. I then found that the kickdown switch behind the pedal was the culprit. Didn't even change it, just lubed it up, got it unstuck, and have been worry free since. The kickdown switch was stuck in WOT, and sending the wrong signal to tcu.

sigpic

Comment

Hey! Sorry to hear about your problems. Auto's can be a real pain sometimes.
              I have the ZF 4HP-22 Manual saved on pdf file.
              It includes a very helpful troubleshooting section upfront, with a lot of proposed problems and solutions. It also includes a complete rebuild of the tranny with pictures, diagrams, etc. It is very in depth and thorough. It's 124 pages long and doesn't contain very much technical jargon.
              I think it would be very helpful to you.
              Let me know your email and I'll send it to you if you'd like.

Chris

Comment

I sent you the Manual, Keith. I think it will be very helpful to your situation. Good luck. Let me know if you need anything else.

Chris

Comment

Have you checked the fluid level?

Comment

That sounds like a good place to start, as these transmissions are prone to failure due to owner neglect. Did your kickdown switch work? have you checked voltage to the trans switch?

sigpic

Comment

Can someone send me that manual? You said it doesnt have tech jargon in it but does it have dimensions??

Comment

Originally posted by 1987_325is View Post
                        I am trying to help my dads friend out. Recently he dropped off his 1987 535is and said it needed a transmission. He also dropped of a spare ZF 4HP-22 transmission. I decided to drive it to make sure and I am not convinced it needs a trans. I also posted over on mye28 just trying to get more hits.

Problems
                        The car will not shift, stays in one gear (which I am assuming it is third). After reading I learned that the car is probably in limp home mode. However there is no warning light illuminated on the dash.

What is also strange is that the D indicating drive will not illuminate on the cluster or the 3 indicating 3rd will not illuminate on the cluster.

So the trans does not slip at all and drives fine, when put into 321 mode I can shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd just fine but not down shift (I am not sure if this is normal). So I am assuming that the solenoids are fine if I can shift in this mode.

When put into economy or sport mode and in drive the car drives forward fine but will not shift at all.

Also the connector on the left side of the trans (the wires going to it) the insulation has been sliced open but no wires cut, the metal wrapping is absent for a new inches-probably another mechanic trying to diagnose.

What I have Tried
                        Removed the connector from trans, cleaned and put back in securely (locked in). However the connector itself still moves around slightly. Could this affect it?

Checked all fuses and relays, no problems here.

Disconnected battery hoping it would reset ecu and take out of limp mode.

Nothing has worked to my favor thus far so I am turning to you guys. Any ideas? Thank you in advance! I have heard that if the gear indicators aren't functioning properly then the trans automatically goes into limp mode..Is this true and how can I fix this, just replace the cluster?

Check the range switch on the gear selector. Spilled drinks, crap and corruption can foul the contacts.
                        Kick down is another possibility but you display's actions have me thinking the switch could be at fault.

Comment

Working...
                        X