Urethane Thrust Arm bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urethane Thrust Arm bushings?

Anyone have any idea of where to get Urethane bushings that will fit my E34M5 thrust arms?

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

I thought the only difference b/t regular e34 and m5 thrust arms were the bushings? That being said I have Powerflex on my touring and am pretty happy with them.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
      I thought the only difference b/t regular e34 and m5 thrust arms were the bushings? That being said I have Powerflex on my touring and am pretty happy with them.
      The M5 arm is aluminum, don't know much else about it.

I was told the Powerflex was great too. Did you have shimmy before? Did the Powerflex fix it?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I did have a shimmy before, but I think it was a combination of things. I ended up changing pretty much everything in the front suspension and it's gone mostly away but is still there a bit. I think it's mostly due to a poor alignment and bad tires in my case. I assume you're referring to the infamous '55 mph shimmy'.

I can, however, say that the P-flex bushings made everything seem a lot tighter and, though you feel a bit more, I like it because it seems less floaty. I have them for the thrust arms and recently bought them for my control arms as well.
        Originally posted by LJ851
        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Well, I am gonna try them, since I cannot seem to find a reference to the supposed "Audi Bushing" that supposedly fits.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Check BFC e34 section, thought I've seen a thread there. non m5 arms are aluminum too, I think it's mostly the brand difference... I've read e31 arms fit too and have a spherical instead of bushing!
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
              Check BFC e34 section, thought I've seen a thread there. non m5 arms are aluminum too, I think it's mostly the brand difference... I've read e31 arms fit too and have a spherical instead of bushing!
              You sure that isn't my thread over there, Jean?

E31 bushings are NLA from BMW, apparently. I found a Moog HD replacement bushing ($10 each too!) but am leery of using domestic parts. The whole "rubber mounted spherical bushing" sounds lovely, but that does not sound like a $10 part.

I have thought about using the new AKG spherical bushing, but I hate that level of harshness, makes my hands go numb.

The car will be on 245/40/18 up front, so that harshness would be an issue for sure.

Thrust arms are steel on everything but the 540i AFAIK. Those and the M5 use alu-min-i-um from what I can tell.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Get the Powerflex bushings from Bimmerworld. I have personally done/seen that done to 3 or 4 cars now and it is always a huge improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  You sure that isn't my thread over there, Jean?

E31 bushings are NLA from BMW, apparently. I found a Moog HD replacement bushing ($10 each too!) but am leery of using domestic parts. The whole "rubber mounted spherical bushing" sounds lovely, but that does not sound like a $10 part.

I have thought about using the new AKG spherical bushing, but I hate that level of harshness, makes my hands go numb.

The car will be on 245/40/18 up front, so that harshness would be an issue for sure.

Thrust arms are steel on everything but the 540i AFAIK. Those and the M5 use alu-min-i-um from what I can tell.

You'll have no trouble with Moog/TRW bushings and none of the harshness of poly.
                  The OE German bushings aren't known for longevity by the way.
                  Be sure suspension is loaded before final tightening of the bushing through bolt or any bushing will quickly fail.
                  Pretty sure all original thrust arms were aluminum.

Comment

where can you order the moog/trw bushings? My e39 is in need!

Comment

luke, you can get the whole lower control arms for the e31. Don't think you can get just the bushing. Also, I HIGHLY recommend the moosehead spherical bushings for the upper control arms. I just replaced my front stuff with e31 lowers and the moosehead uppers, and I could not be happier. You also don't have to preload anything when using these, so the install is easier. The ride quality didn't really suffer much, but the steering, stability and feel of the road is so much better. And absolutely zero play, shimmy or wobble. Be up to 140 with the nice set and did moderate braking from there and it was rock solid.

btw I also have akg 1/2 inch bump steer plates, powerflex rear subframe bushings, m5 sways with powerflex bushings, and vogtlands with bille sports and summitomo htrz III 235/40/18 and 265/35/18. The ride quality is still decent over normal roads.
                      Last edited by darrenforeal; 05-22-2012, 10:07 PM.
                      Team Hybrids

Comment

Go with Moosehead Engineering upper control arm spherical bushings made specially for the E28/E24/E34s because of the shimmy.

I have them in the M5, perfect. They are easily rebuildable with off the shelf parts.
                        E28 528e
                        E39 M5

Comment

Awesome...that Moosehead kit is EXACTLY what I need to do.

The goal here is way more aggressive than stock, but not a buttload of Delrin either.

Guys, thanks!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Excellent--ordering those for my Touring.

Comment

Luke, were you able to order from Moosehead? Those spherical bushings are listed as out of stock and I sent a request on Thursday, but no reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X