M30 engine questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 engine questions

Wanting to build a M30 turbo for a e28 daily which I will getting in the next few months. Anyways been doing some reading and understand that I want to get a engine with a late model head, water holes instead of passages. That is no problem.

Though I can't seem to find much info on the bottom end's here are a few questions I have.

Are all M30 blocks the same?
    Is there specific years to look out for?
    Is it true that all M30 had forged crank and rods?
    What is the difference between the capacities, bigger bores or longer strokes, or both?
    Are there a preferred componets, for a turbo build, eg a b34 crank in a b28 block ect?

M30 in car yards are very common around here, so that is why I ask about mixing and matching, as long as the condition is reasonable I don't mind as I will be doing a complete rebuild anyway.
    sigpic

e28 and e34 blocks have different bosses for motor mounts. It would be easiest to use an e28 block in and e28 car.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainM30 View Post
      e28 and e34 blocks have different bosses for motor mounts. It would be easiest to use an e28 block in and e28 car.
      That is a good start thanks.
      sigpic

Comment

Check the myE28 forced induction forum:
        http://www.mye28.com/viewforum.php?f...0156d3b85805d4

Comment

Get an 88/89 e28 or e24 engine. Same as e34 but with proper mounting points. The pre88 m30b34 had 8.5:1 compression, so its a good choice to turbo. Good luck!

sigpic

Comment

Yes, you want to use a B34(as stated for its lower compression) instead of a B35. B35 compression isnt much higher but it does make a difference and the B34 block will guarantee the right bosses. Bottom ends are the same between B34/35 but B35 uses a different piston for more compression combined with the larger valves and chamber of the B35 head(flows better too). Now from here on Im speaking from remembered specs rather than hands on experience but I think the B34 is not as "aggressive" as the B35 cam and might lend itself better to boost as well. Using the B35 head on the B34 bottom would lower CR alot but might be perfect if you are going to do BIG boost...
            Last edited by JW767; 08-08-2012, 05:09 AM. Reason: cant spell

Comment

Working...
            X