touring rear sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

touring rear sub

I've been wanting to try this for some time, so when I found an extra rear gate in a junkyard, I decided to go for it. I've cut in a 8" sub and mounted a Kenwood amp. I've order a new JVC Arsenal that I should receive tomorrow. I wanted to center it but had to offset it for the amp to fit. I'll be mounting a cage over it as I use this for carrying all kinds of goodies and I will for sure puncture the sub if I don't cover it. I plan on securing the edges with a few screws to stop any vibration.....

88 545is, k27 Turbo, TCD Turbo Chip, 30lbs Injectors, b35 cam, Aftermarket Intercooler, Custom 3" to Dual 2.5" Exhaust, HRs/Sports, BBK, SS Lines, 18" Staggered Alpinas, 235/40-265/35 Falkens, S2.93.

Looks very neat. Keep the updates coming! :-)
    Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

Got the headunit in, amp is wire but I'm not getting any power out of it, so I can't say whether or not that packet back there will be worth the effort. It's playing with equal output as the headunit. Swapping in another amp tomorrow.

88 545is, k27 Turbo, TCD Turbo Chip, 30lbs Injectors, b35 cam, Aftermarket Intercooler, Custom 3" to Dual 2.5" Exhaust, HRs/Sports, BBK, SS Lines, 18" Staggered Alpinas, 235/40-265/35 Falkens, S2.93.

Comment

Originally posted by grey ghost View Post
        Got the headunit in, amp is wire but I'm not getting any power out of it, so I can't say whether or not that packet back there will be worth the effort. It's playing with equal output as the headunit. Swapping in another amp tomorrow.
        CAll Luke if you have any issues. He stayed on the phone with me throughout my amp install on my out e34 touring.

Comment

Its the amp for sure, one chanel is shot as is the bridgable application......

Comment

Curious how that will sound. I like the idea of it being there on the side.

Here's my setup. Box isn't pretty but it sounds nice and everything is totally hidden. Wiring up the crossovers for the fronts was lots of fun. Found a few good wiring diagrams that made it fairly painless.

Amp wiring cleaned up. Crossovers for the front (2 ways) and a cooling fan. Works and sounds great IMO.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

I wanted to do that setup, but I worry for the worst and need my spare.

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
              Curious how that will sound. I like the idea of it being there on the side.

Here's my setup. Box isn't pretty but it sounds nice and everything is totally hidden. Wiring up the crossovers for the fronts was lots of fun. Found a few good wiring diagrams that made it fairly painless.

Amp wiring cleaned up. Crossovers for the front (2 ways) and a cooling fan. Works and sounds great IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by poopin04 View Post
                I wanted to do that setup, but I worry for the worst and need my spare.
                I have AAA Gold...but still I do worry. That's why I'm rethinking about where to put it.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

I say put your tire back in and just use the other drop down side where the fluid tank is for the rear wiper. I rather skip out on that than my spare.

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                  I have AAA Gold...but still I do worry. That's why I'm rethinking about where to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by poopin04 View Post
                    I say put your tire back in and just use the other drop down side where the fluid tank is for the rear wiper. I rather skip out on that than my spare.
                    That's where I'm looking at putting. Just worried I won't have the space I'd need for it to sound good.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread

Comment

Got the sub playing but the little 8incher can't handle the amp. I can't turn the amp down enough to stop it from farting. So it looks like a ten will have to do. I may even try a shallow mount 12. But will at the very least be a ten. The eight may even be burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by grey ghost View Post
                        Got the sub playing but the little 8incher can't handle the amp. I can't turn the amp down enough to stop it from farting. So it looks like a ten will have to do. I may even try a shallow mount 12. But will at the very least be a ten. The eight may even be burnt.
                        Wow...how did I miss this thread!

OK, this issue you are having of "flopping and farting" has nothing to do with power handling. What is happening here is simple to understand, but doesn't really make any sense to a non-stereo person.

Here is the deal: 75% of any woofers suspension is the box. The woofers suspension itself is intended to work with the airspace in the box...and you don't have a box.

What this means is you need to find a woofer intended for "Infinite Baffle" applications. They have radically different suspensions intended to work without a resonant space behind them.

In fact, I will go as far as to say if you put that exact same woofer in a normal box, it would do great, assuming it is not fried. It should have roasted in about 30 seconds of moderate volume in that installation. It would play plenty loud and with plenty of "slam" in one of my 8" boxes especially.

I am not trying to be harsh here, but please understand that how you installed that woofer is as wrong as possible. Your idea of using a thin 10" or 12" will actually be far worse for woofer farts!

The issue you will run into very quickly is there are not many "IB" woofers out there. IB plays very low and sometimes with nice "warmth", but it will never "hit" (it can't, really) and because it is so inefficient, it takes an assload of power to get any thump at all...and then, because of the suspension issues discussed earlier...it can't take much power! Sort of a "lose-lose" scenario.

Oh: lets make that even more fun...any woofer that claims to work in "sealed, ported or bandpass, but will do fine in Infinite Baffle" is pure bullshit. IB requires its own suspension and NOTHING else will do...period.

Think of it like this: yes, it is physically possible to install shocks from a dump truck on your E30, right? I mean, it won't be easy or logical, but it is possible.

The car will suck bad, be all stiff and stupid, right? Just like with enough cutting and welding, you could put an E30 shock on that dump truck too...but neither will work for shit, right? The fact is simple: you put E30 shock on a dump truck. Like I said, I ain't trying to be harsh, but I could have told you not to waste your time or effort...that will not work with any woofer sold today. Yeah, I know, you don't want a box, you want all your space. My suggestion is if you absolutely MUST have that tiny space, build a box behind that woofer. It will still suck, but it will actually do something instead of just flapping around.

Oh yeah, BTW, we now make a 10 channel passive crossover network to work with all of the stock speakers in your car. Simple stuff, you connect our wires to a 4 channel amp and all of your stock speakers and you get far better sound quality than those Polks ever dreamed of! It ain't cheap, but it does what nothing else on the market does, using the excellent quality speakers that are already in your car to make better sound. It is positively amazing, the sound quality will run all over Polks, JLs, Diamonds, Quarts, whatever. The stock drivers made after 3/93 are better drivers than your Polks by a long shot, but this is the first product ever that allows you to use them with any chance of success.

Let me know if I can help. Our spiffy E34t subwoofer will be released soon, hopefully some of you guys might be interested. It is the exact same specification as our E30 10" box, but tuned roughly 5hz lower to utilize the larger cabin. It will use all the space between the tonneau cover and the back seat, with the woofer firing towards the rear. They get upholstered in a nice matching gray or camel color high grade automotive carpet, so they look and fit perfectly.

Oh yeah, they are both firmly mounted AND easy to remove...kind of a neat system IMO, but I might be biased just a bit!

Our man "NitroRustlerDriver" has an E3010 in his touring as a "loaner" until we get the E3410T done. He might be able to explain better what to expect. The quality of the bass is truly unlike anything you expect in a car: crisp, clean, detailed...but thunderous, like "feel it in your chest" thunder, even at low volumes. Oh yeah, it plays stupid loud on 150 watts and a $50 woofer too, just as all of my designs do.

Like I said, I would be happy to point you in the right direction, be it in that side panel (BTW, you gotta brace that thing up! The mount has to be SOLID, not that flappy-ass panel!) or whatever.

Good luck!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Not to mention, that long ass side vent in either cubby means your back wave is canceling out the front wave, ie lower output.
                          I looked long and hard at that area for a sub, and wound up taking advantage of the vent instead for my amp, was never happy with the volume available for installing a sub.

Comment

BTW, here is a simple solution that fits flawlessly, plays low, clean and LOUD...and comes out in seconds

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X