E28 Euro headlight wiring woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E28 Euro headlight wiring woes

I realize this isn't an E30, but I'm having no luck finding information on other forums so I'm trying to branch out in the hopes someone can help me.

We found that the headlight switch in my E28 had melted pins relating to the left side of the car. When I bought the car the PO had wired in Euro low beams and not used heat shrink so the connectors were corroded.

We cut the wires back and replaced the connectors with BMW spec clips and heat shrinked them up. The left low beam still would not work. Through 4 hours of diagnosis we found what I can only describe as black magic witchery.

Here are the details:

- First off, the voltage in the images is low because we were testing this all day and the car's down for a new oil pan so we couldn't run it.

The battery was reading 7.5V.

At the current 7.5V the passenger side headlight is lit. The drivers side is not.

The power wire to the drivers headlight reads 7.33V when disconnected.

Resistance at the same wire is 1.2O

When the wire is connected to the headlight, suddenly there is no voltage.

We tested the above with the headlight wiring ground connected, and then again running our own ground to the frame and got the same results. No voltage at the power wire when connected.

When we run power directly from the battery to the headlight terminal, the light is illuminated.

This works with both the headlight wiring ground connected and with our own ground to the frame.

I don't understand why the power line to the headlight would HAVE POWER when disconnected, then suddenly have no power when connected.

We swapped bulbs from side to side. We swapped headlight buckets side to side. Everything works on the passengers side but not the drivers side.

Someone tell me how this is possible.

Bad relay or wiring? If the bad connectors trashed your switch it may have trashed the relay or wiring. Did you test each wire for resistance?

I'm not familiar with e28 headlights. Do the US lights have dual filament bulbs? Did the origina lights use 2 or 3 wires? Do the Euros use 2 or 3 wires? There are common wiring issues on e30's when swapping in Euro lights that are similar to what you're experiencing.

Some US cars use a dual filament bulb to keep the low beams on while the highs are on. Others use relays and wiring to accomplish this. Some others don't have low beams on with high beams.
    90 325i DD/Track
    03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
    It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

This is wayyy off topic, but when did you get an e28?!?! I want to see pictures lol.

BUY MY WHEELS! BBS E50s!!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275407

Originally posted by Lurker27
      Any man will tell you being blown is better than being stroked.

Comment

Go to mye28.com and search for wiring the euro headlights. I know they have a wiring diagram and a lot of write-ups.

Comment

Working...
        X