Steering wheel splines, and airbag bolt dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel splines, and airbag bolt dilemma

I decided to attempt to replace my instrument cluster, since the outgoing signal to the OBC has failed, leaving me with inoperable MPG and RANGE functions. So I picked up a cluster at the junkyard, swapped it in, and the only thing that worked on the stupid thing was the turn signals and speedo. No tach, ODO, etc... I have an early model with the coding plug built into the cars wiring harness, so it had to be a defective cluster. So, I pull it all back apart to put in the old cluster. As I go to tighten the 2nd of the two airbag bolts, I managed to cross thread it when it was half way in. Not only that, but it won't thread in or out, it's just spinning in place. Tried prying the airbag out while turning the bolt, also tried pushing the bolt in while turning, no luck.

I can't think of any way to possibly fix that dilemma without damaging the wheel, but I'll try. In the meantime, I'm going to pick up another steering wheel, so if I do damage it, I have another one to put on. Are the splines the same on all e34's? Mine is an 89. Does it share the splines/fitment with any other BMW model? I just put a new leather M-Tech II on my e30 and love it, I may go with the same wheel for the e34 if I can.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build
Working...
X