Am I screwed? Stereo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I screwed? Stereo Question

So the other day I broke the cardinal rule of not putting a cassette in the stereo. Needless to say it did not come out, and now its stuck on tape. I got the cassette out fairly easily without ruining anything but now I figure it's time to upgrade.
    So I flipped back the caps for the screws holding the head unit it in, and guess what! The heads are drilled off and the screw body is still in! Stereo will not pull out either!
    Penske/Real OEM do not have a diagram of the way it is secured so I cannot tell if there is a back way of getting it out.
    Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

What deck? Stock?

The screws push a small tab out behind the bezel and hold it in. You can pull, but it will most likely break the surround.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Should be nothing holding it in then I think. Try wedgeing something in the side of the deck and see if it pops out.
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

It is the stock deck, didn't want to move when I tried to pull on it. I may try a little bit harder lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
          So the other day I broke the cardinal rule of not putting a cassette in the stereo. Needless to say it did not come out, and now its stuck on tape. I got the cassette out fairly easily without ruining anything but now I figure it's time to upgrade.
          So I flipped back the caps for the screws holding the head unit it in, and guess what! The heads are drilled off and the screw body is still in! Stereo will not pull out either!
          Penske/Real OEM do not have a diagram of the way it is secured so I cannot tell if there is a back way of getting it out.
          Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
          I must like to live dangerously. I play old tapes in mine all the time.

Are you sure the screws just don't need the special tool for removing radios? I bought my tool off ebay for < $5 iirc. Well worth the money spent.
          1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
          1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
          1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
          E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

Are the heads of the screws missing completely? If so, try pushing what is left of them into the radio. If the heads are still there, just destroyed, you are going to have to find a way to loosen the screws.

Comment

Screw heads are gone, will try pushing them back tonight. Or I will start taking the more destructive route.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

You can pull the entire dash trim piece out without removing the radio first. Might try that so you can possibly see what is going on and a solution.

Comment

Working...
                X