E34 intermittent bouncing idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 intermittent bouncing idle

Hello r3vlimited, first post here to forgive any mistakes I may make. I am the fairly recent owner of a 1994 525i and I am working on getting this vehicle up to my standards. I have run across a rather odd problem since owning it.

When I purchased the car the idle was perfect, but then I had to go messing with things. I changed the oil ( mobil 1 15-w50) and the oil filter (wix), and the car began to bounce on idle a few times before settling down at ~600rpm. This improved a bit with time, but did not go away.

Next, one week later, I replaced the valve cover gasket, which was pushed out from the seam causing oil leaks, and what I believe to have been a vacuum leak. I also replaced 2 spark plugs which were submerged in oil, due to the failed valve cover gasket (NGK). Once this was repaired I started up the car, and the idle was bouncing like crazy. I drove it around the block a few times, and after that the bouncing idle went away entirely.

This lasted about a 5 days, and I checked the oil levels. They were a bit low, so I added about 1/8 of a quart of oil. This procedure caused the bouncing idle to return, and it has been that way for 3 days now.

I am thinking that either the car does not like having a full load of oil, which seems kind of ridiculous, or the oil filler cap and dipstick are causing vacuum leaks because of failed seals. These are the items which have been involved each time this problem has come up.

The stomp test is not giving me any codes, it shows one short blink followed by one long blink, which I believe to be 1000. It was throwing 1222 lambda sensor before I fixed the valve cover gasket, but does not anymore.

If you read this far, thank you! Any advice is appreciated, and in the mean time I am going to start small with repairs, meaning the dipstick O-rings, and oil filler cap seal. What do the minds of r3vlimited make of my problem?

My car exhbiits the same symptoms, EXACT same. I have done sorta the same maintenance too.

Im curious to hear what people have to say

Comment

As an update, I have replaced the dipstick and oil filler cap (which turned out to be aftermarket) with some well sealing OEM stuff from the salvage yard. It is not 100%, but it is damn close at this point. Very rarely will the idle bounce.

On the other hand, I just bought a 89 325ix which does the EXACT same to an even greater degree. That one is going to be more of a project to fix though I'm sure. I only paid $900. :D

Comment

Working...
      X