Weird issue with E28 fuse popping out of holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird issue with E28 fuse popping out of holder

So in our 528e, we are having a new issue with the fuel pump fuse popping out of its holder. Since the 5 series use these stupid festoon? fuses, all I can do is press the metal clip in tighter, and hope for the best. It worked the first time the other day when the girlfriend got stranded, started right up after it built up fuel pressure and drove home. She got to work the next day, and as she was leaving it did the same thing. This morning I went to move it, and it died instantly like the first day, but once I cranked it again and assuming built up fuel pressure, and giving it a couple quick blips of the throttle it was fine. What can I do to remedy this? We haven't had a problem with this car up till this weird issue, and of course it has got to be the fuel pump fuse that pops out.

You just bend it just right to match the others. There is a hole in each tab. In correct configuration the holes will line up and hold the ends of the fuse. BTDT.

Or you can swap in an e30 fusebox but that's a ton for work for really no gain.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

You could use O-rings to hold the fuses in securely. Fuse holder arms/tabs that have been overheated and are now loose at their base, can still be used by installing a 7/16-inch I.D. silicone rubber O-ring to apply tension across the arms, insuring a stable connection. Make sure you use silicone and not vinyl or neoprene, since silicone will last longer than you are probably going to have the car.
      Be sure to use fuses with ceramic bodies, not the plastic ones.
      Tip & photo courtesy of Rod Paine.

Comment

Perfect, I had heard from someone else about using an o-ring, so looks like I'll go down that route. Thank you for that picture, exact fuse and all that's having the problem!

Comment

Working...
        X