e39 Code Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e39 Code Help!

Okay, so the car is a 04/99 528i touring. It ran and drove fine but would never idle while warming up. It would die after a few minutes. Then its starts throwing the eml light while i was out of town. Unhooked the battery and when I plugged it back in the code went away and i made the trip home. now it wont drive at all. got the TPS code, replaced the TPS. Now i get codes:

p0120 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit
    p1542 - Pedal Position Sensor Electrical
    p1765 - CAN Throttle Valve

What do I look at first? With full time work and school I really dont have time to be digging around in this thing forever. I need it to run and if you guys could help that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Try posting or searching at these E39 forums:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...996-2003-(E39)
    Last edited by John in VA; 12-11-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

No help from there..

There is now a strange whine/hum coming from the TB when the key is on..

I found this:
      M52 Engine Control Module Fault Code 12
      Model:
      E36–BMW 328i and E39–BMW 528i with M52 Engine
      Complaint:
      Due to a software error in the DME results an erroneous setting of fault code 12 in the DME will occur. The customer can experience the ASC lamp being illuminated, the ‘check engine’ lamp is illuminated. The vehicle may also show Fault Code 12 (Throttle valve potentiometer in the DME), Fault Code 154 (CAN accelerator pedal setting in the EGS/AGS), and Fault Code 57 (Throttle valve signal from DME in ASC/ABS).
      Remedy:
      The Engine Control Module (DME) needs to be reprogrammed using the MODIC programming software version P9.0 or higher. Once the DME has been reprogrammed perform “Quick Clear” which will clear any faults that have been set as a result of the reprogramming. Next clear the “Throttle Position adaptation values” under service functions.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...s_and_problems

Looks like thats it. Now to find out how to reprogram it without the bmw tool

Comment

can you take the DME out and send it out to get repair?
        Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Im sure I could if I knew the DME was the issue. But I guess that bulletin doesnt apply to my car. m52tu uses some drive by wire hybrid deal................. fuhh

Comment

Had the same issues and codes with my parents e39 touring, to where it was even stalling enough that my mother didn't even want to own the car anymore. I suspected the codes weren't the actual cause, but registering from something else, so I took a look around and serviced the things that were worn or in need anyway before going on with looking into the throttle sensors.

I cleaned the ICV, and replaced the brittle and falling apart CCV hoses, did the dual vanos seals, and found two vacuum leaks. Put it all back together and all was great. Been two years now and no further issues in that department.

Comment

Your Throttle assembly, pedal, and sensors are out of sync. They'll need to be reprogramed. Anything you change under the hood of an e39 will require coding.

Look on ebay for the cheap BMW diagnostic usb plugs and software. You'll be able to prog with your laptop

Comment

I have INPA but ive ordered two cable and neither will reset the adaptations. It will read the codes and info but it wont reset. Any ideas? The two black dots on INPA (Batt and ignition) arent lighting up but it is reading the car.

Comment

Working...
                X