"Broken Differential Coupling"??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Broken Differential Coupling"??

What is this? I'm looking at buying a 1990 525i and the seller says it needs a diff coupling and an oil pan gasket change. He also says there's an electrical problem where the speedometer works when it wants to, and that it usually starts working after the dashboard beeps and says a door is open. Any ideas?

Keep looking.
    '88 e28 B9
    '74 e12 525

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzBomb View Post
      Keep looking.
      No good at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Swoon View Post
        No good at all?
        It's a very common car, and I'm sure you can find a better example. Those things are fixable, but they are expensive if you have someone else do it. The car would have to be dirt cheap.
        '88 e28 B9
        '74 e12 525

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzBomb View Post
          It's a very common car, and I'm sure you can find a better example. Those things are fixable, but they are expensive if you have someone else do it. The car would have to be dirt cheap.
          Is $2000 dirt cheap?
          And I've been trying, but there's nothing around my area :(
          None with a 5 speed, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Swoon View Post
            Is $2000 dirt cheap?
            And I've been trying, but there's nothing around my area :(
            None with a 5 speed, anyway.
            It's hard to tell someone not to buy a car, especially if that person is on the other side of the US. I don't know the market over there. Over here, the yards are full of them. If they're scarce over by you, they might go for more.
            E34s just don't get a lot of money, especially the 525 sedan. For 2k with those issues, the body and paint need to be good, with no other issues. If you're not in a hurry, look for a 535. If you've already fallen for that car, Just do it!
            '88 e28 B9
            '74 e12 525

Comment

Working...
            X