M60B40 cam timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60B40 cam timing

Hi, am working through chain guide replacement on my '95 e34 540i (m60) and have got to the point of fitting the cam locks. My cams appear to be about 45 degrees off line with the cam lock. Am i correct in loosening the sprocket bolts and rotating the cams counterclockwise till they lock into the tool ?

Also when reassembling what is the right setup for the cams seeing the sprocket bolt holes are slotted?

All the info i have googled seems to be the m62 vanos engine...

Thanks.

Rotate the engine to TDC compression stroke. You'll know this by looking at the cams in the passenger side head. The front lobes closest to the front of the car intake and exhaust should be pointing upward towards each other like this : / \
    The cam locking tool should slide right on and square up. Also look for the lettering on the cams to be facing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
      Rotate the engine to TDC compression stroke. You'll know this by looking at the cams in the passenger side head. The front lobes closest to the front of the car intake and exhaust should be pointing upward towards each other like this : / \
      The cam locking tool should slide right on and square up. Also look for the lettering on the cams to be facing up.
      Thanks,

Am nearly done after a long spell waiting for parts. I have new chains, sprockets and removed the cam locks and pin last night rotate engine. I went round twice and the marks line up fine but there were two points where it really locked up. I reversed a bit then continued rotating clockwise ok. Is this normal? possibly lash from the lifters?

Comment

Working...
      X