Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drain hoses by trans: Evaporator & Heater core???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain hoses by trans: Evaporator & Heater core???

Here's the lowdown:

About 2 weeks ago I topped up my coolant, as I do at every oil change(the coolant smells like ass so I put it on the mental-list of ttd). Week and a half later, after a near overheating incident, I was way down to the bottom of the resevoir again. The overheating happens only when leaving the hwy to stop-and-go driving. As soon as I get moving again, it drops after a few seconds.

So I swap the fan clutch for a known-good unit(Friday AM), no change. I check the coolant level before heading home from work, bottom of the resevoir again(motor still runs absolutely fine, nothing fishy). When I got home, I turned the heat to cold, and let it sit and idle for about 5 minutes (With low water, 5 minutes stationary at operating temp would've had the gauge moving quickly towards the red). I'm baffled since there's nothing under/in the car that I can detect.

I had just picked up my T-Stat/WP/Housing/Coolant from BMW so I decided this morning, that I would get to the bottom of it(was somewhat down on coolant again!!). BUT before actually doing anything, I took out my coolant pressure tester and pumped the system up to 15psi. And there it stayed right @ 15psi for a good 25 minutes. I the meantime, I inspected underneath, and around the HG mating surface. Found only oil which had run down the head from the VCG. No water in my oil or vice-versa. BUT I did notice small drops of rusty water on the pass. side of the trans. The only place that they could come from was a drain hose coming out of the floor, which has crusty brown residue on it. So I proceeded to remove the rad & block drain plug, flushed all the nasty smelling, rusty coolant out. Popped in the 'new' WP, T-Stat(the unit in there was mounted with the arrow facing left).

Since I was unsure of where I was losing copious amounts of coolant, I filled the system with water from the hose, for the time being. And for the sake of bleeding, I drilled a 3mm thru the arrow in the T-stat.

So is the aformentioned hose a drain for the heater core housing???? I was curious if anything was actively leaking out of that hose so I put a small baggie around it, and secured it with a rubber band. I'll check it in a day or two to see if it's 'caught' anything.

Other than that, I have no strange running issues/smells with the motor....I suspect heater core but have no water/strong smell from inside the car.

What say yee r3v?

BTW if I continue to lose water, i'll be looping out the heater core temporarily to eliminate(or incriminate) it.
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

You say u see rust near the back and on the tranny.
    Are your freeze plugs leaking? Also what is this car?
    Most e28's have bleeders.

Comment

It's an e34, all freezeplugs on the exhaust side are dry....checked those too when l was under there.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
      -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Coolant that disappears usually means a bad head gasket. I know you don't have milkshake oil, but that doesn't rule out the coolant leaking into the cylinders. Check your spark plugs. If one looks cleaner than the rest, you might have a leak. The coolant will "steam clean" whichever cylinder it is leaking into.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          Coolant that disappears usually means a bad head gasket. I know you don't have milkshake oil, but that doesn't rule out the coolant leaking into the cylinders. Check your spark plugs. If one looks cleaner than the rest, you might have a leak. The coolant will "steam clean" whichever cylinder it is leaking into.

Yeah I know, I just don't wanna deal with it now(I had to change the starter this morning as well, whacking it with a 2x4 nearly everytime I had to use the car was getting old). I'm already looking for a replacement, I just hope the 2.0l last till my vacation, which starts on July 28th. What i'll also do tomorrow morning after I drive to work is shoot each runner on the exhaust manifold with a Pyrometer to see if any are out of whack compared to the others. I'll try to pull plugs tomorrow after work(when it's cooled off a bit of course).

Comment

Just got to work, Cyl.1 runner reads 410degF, the other 5 cylinders are around 445-450degF....

Comment

All plugs look the same:

But the tops of the pistons from cyl. 2-3-4-5 have a sheen on then like their damp, cyl 1 & 6 have a matte/flat appearance.....

Comment

Working...
              X