Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission Swap: With Fluid or Bone Dry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Swap: With Fluid or Bone Dry?

**Edited question**
    Hi guys,
    will be doing a transmission swap. Will be pulling engine and tranny together and re-installing a used transmission with (possibly) very old, dirty fluid. Before I subject it to extreme angles, what's best, drain the transmission fluid and clean the pan or just leave it all in there? I was concerned that the muck at the bottom of the swamp pan could get into sensitive areas and screw something up.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Rockabilly_Rebel; 05-20-2018, 07:13 AM.

weird post, but it shouldn't leak unless it does, then you need new seals.

Comment

If your tranny leaks by putting it at an angle....you have bigger fish to fry.

Leave it in, and replace your shifter seal, and main seal(?) if you separate them.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        If your tranny leaks by putting it at an angle....you have bigger fish to fry.

Leave it in, and replace your shifter seal, and main seal(?) if you separate them.
        Thanks for the reply guys - Sorry, my bad - I was wondering if having a used transmission, with old fluid flowing around in there. Can the muck that is at the bottom of the swamp pan get into the wrong areas and mess up the transmission? That was the direction of my thinking.

Comment

The way i drain a loose trans i lift it onto a 5gal bucket an drain it into the bucket.
          the bucket will support the weight ez.

Comment

Unless the tranny was full of water or something, the oil inside won't contaminate anything. It gets splashed around during normal operation and the trans is sealed, so even if it sat a long time, it won't be any worse than it was when driven on last.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
              Unless the tranny was full of water or something, the oil inside won't contaminate anything. It gets splashed around during normal operation and the trans is sealed, so even if it sat a long time, it won't be any worse than it was when driven on last.
              True, good point. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X