Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield Wiper Reservoir Wiring Question

Hey Guys,

In turbo prep I ended up soldering in a long wire extension and installed a 325ix reservoir. That got removed for a smaller amazon job because I needed room for my new coilpack. I used high heat tape and a loom to make it clean and it took me quite a few hours to do this in a way that looked OEM. I do not want to undo all of that work when my question can be answered at a glance. There are two wires which connect to the windshield washer reservoir pump:

VIOLET/BLACK (VI/BK) +, and BROWN/BLACK (BR/BK) -. The two connectors are sized differently, one is larger than the other.

Could anyone please confirm that VI/BK is the wire which attaches to the smaller connector?

I did find one picture which confirms this online, but it was connected to a gigantic reservoir with two pumps on it. *edit - might be one of those euro 325i with the buttons on the dash one for front, one for rear window. Eitherway, vi/bk and br/bk are there. It **appears VI/BK is the smaller connector, but it's busted so I can't tell for sure.
    Last edited by E30Bastard; 01-22-2024, 02:12 PM.
    "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Click image for larger version

Name:	washer-reserve.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	10112664
    Grainy picture which does not help.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Clear pictures of the gigantic reservoir and connectors:

Click image for larger version  Name:	h8X3azK.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.0 KB ID:	10112666 Click image for larger version  Name:	OFNzf2W.jpg Views:	0 Size:	266.2 KB ID:	10112667

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

All right, all figured out. Guess I was wiped out last night.

Both wires will short to ground with key off and both wires will have positive voltage with the ignition in position 1 or 2. When you break the wash switch it shorts BLACK/BROWN to ground and activates the pump. Had the wife pull the wash switch with the ignition on and was able to determine which wire was which in my custom loom. Diagram attached in case anyone gets back to this place in the future. Case closed.

*Edit - Forgot to mention the smaller connector for US Spec OEM is the BK/BR.
        Attached Files

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Working...
        X