E30 M42 Fail emission- Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M42 Fail emission- Please Help

Hows it goin guys? My e30 318is failed emissions and im on a real tight budget with school so im trying to figure out Exactly what will get me to pass smog.

I passed the 25 mph test, whew!!

But the 15 mph test I wasnt soo lucky
    Here are its results:
    15mph~1744 RPM

HC-hydrocarbons(sp)
    258 max allowed 124 Fail

CO%
    .77 Max allowed .78 Barely Passed

NO
    2201 Max allowed 815 Horrible Fail

Having said that the car has a little work and hacks to it. I put mustang injectors in and a toyota 02 in. From what the guys at school were telling me, splicing an 02 in causes resistance which isnt good because the 02 only works in a very narrow band. The injectors I read off some forum and got the correct serial # ones to replace the stock ones, im thinking its not this but keeping it an open possibility.

But I have had the car 2 years and never replaced the cat. I bought it with 132xxx miles and am at around 189xxx now. The cat may be old..

I have a really tight budget and would like to only replace what I need to so if any of you guys can help out thatd be great.

"Give me that money so I can give you that moneeeeyy..."

has anyone ran on e-85? a few gallons may cut down the ppm's enough to get you passed

Comment

ya but the NO was 2201ppm and the max is 815 so i really blew over on that!!

Comment

Put the stock o2 sensor in, the stock injectors back in, change the oil, change the air filter, and run a bottle of techron through the system. Make sure the car is good and hot when they test it -- take it out for a cruise before you go to the place.

Comment

Injectors shouldn't really make a huge difference unless they are grossly mismatched with the application. Run some injector cleaner through it and make sure the fuel filer and lines to the pressure regulator are in good shape as well. usually high NO levels mean the car is running lean, iirc. the car may be part of the problem as well, though.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I replaced the vacuum lines not too long ago. Im pretty confident its not their. HC comes from cylinder temps above 2500*F. My teacher told me lean misfire which makes me believe the motor isnt runnin in tip top shape. 02 sensor sounds like it there, but i want to pinpoint this thing exactly

Comment

Originally posted by andyman2487 View Post
              Put the stock o2 sensor in, the stock injectors back in, change the oil, change the air filter, and run a bottle of techron through the system. Make sure the car is good and hot when they test it -- take it out for a cruise before you go to the place.
              All good advice worth following. Maybe do the SeaFoam thing out of the abundance of caution. In regards to ensuring the car is hot for the test, I've been making a point to arrive at my neighborhood smog shop when they're ~15 minutes to closing.....usually no one else is there getting a test done so my car goes straight onto the rollers. Hardly has any time to cool.

Jon
              Rides...
              1991 325i - sold :(
              2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I dont have the stock O2 anymore. Since I almost failed everything it seems like cat. but now im thinking timing and the spark plugs and wires etc which im hoping I dont have to dive too deep

Comment

Originally posted by Lsb_E30 View Post
                  I dont have the stock O2 anymore. Since I almost failed everything it seems like cat. but now im thinking timing and the spark plugs and wires etc which im hoping I dont have to dive too deep
                  If you put a new cat on there's a good chance you'll pass. The problem is the new gay california laws making universal cats illegal so you have to cough up $400 for a new one.

Comment

this site might be able to help you on the possible causes of high HC and NO and what to fix

http://www.smogsearch.com/index.php?page=faq

Comment

Working...
                    X