325is Auto vs Manual Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325is Auto vs Manual Differences

Hey guys, I've tried searching about this but have come up empty handed. If anyone has been following this thread

I've been trying to find a facelifted e30 in silver in auto or manual. Anyway, I found a private seller in Rancho Cordova who owns a 325 "is" automatic or so he claims its an IS and was worth $5000. I mean mechanically it was under 200k. Body paint is near prestine condition.

The problem is that when I checked it out I was kind of skeptical it was an IS to begin with. Though I havent test driven it yet. I know IS typically comes with a lip, lsd, lowering springs, basket weave wheels, spoiler. However, this car sits relatively high in my perspective and it has regular wheels. Also if the lip did come with an IS would it be paint matched with the body?

I'll let the pics decide. Thanks! for the input guys!

A manual has 3 pedals.

Comment

The lip most likely broke off, since they tend to either be stolen or broken. The wheels could have been switched for some reason. Are the seats comfort or sport?
      M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        A manual has 3 pedals.
        shoulda seen that one coming :rofl:

Comment

my iS came with bottlecaps and no front lip but it's still an iS.
          PNW CREW

1990 325is
          Scorpion exhaust
          K&N intake with signature motoring heat shield
          H&R race with bilstien sports
          D-Force wheels/Hankook Ventus RS-2's

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Devier View Post
            The lip most likely broke off, since they tend to either be stolen or broken. The wheels could have been switched for some reason. Are the seats comfort or sport?
            good catch, they appear to be comfort seats. Dammit its getting more and more suspicious.

He also mentioned that he recently "added a trunk spoiler" himself. Are the trunk spoilers on the IS adhesive application or is it drilled/bolted on?

Comment

Seats will be the dead give-away as to whether it is an iS or not. They look like sport seats in the pictures, but it is a bit hard to tell. I dont recall ever seeing a late model iS that came with bottle caps, but I guess it could happen. My eS came from the factory with the bottle caps, but that's a bit different.

The front lip definitely doesnt belong. I dont understand why someone would put the wrong lip on it if one broke off, unless it was a used piece from the boneyard. iS lips are cheap enough new. It could have been color matched from the factory, but many were not. Usually I've seen the front and rear spoiler painted to match or left black as a pair, not seperately.

Looks like a nice car though. Manual trans just adds weight anyway. That extra pedal and the more complex shift linkage.. yeah you are better off with the auto anyway :drink:.

Comment

yes they are drilled/bolted on. Open up the trunk and look where it's connected . Also get under the car and check for an LSD.
                PNW CREW

1990 325is
                Scorpion exhaust

Comment

much appreciated guys! it should be a smooth process from here on out

Comment

if all else fails get the VIN and check the carfax. It should say what the car is.
                    PNW CREW

1990 325is
                    Scorpion exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by '90 325is View Post
                      if all else fails get the VIN and check the carfax. It should say what the car is.
                      I'll definitely look into that.

As for the ride height in the pics so far. Is that how an IS is supposed to look?

Comment

when I first bought my iS it sat pretty high up like that, until I slammed it that is.
                        PNW CREW

1990 325is
                        Scorpion exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                          I'll definitely look into that.

As for the ride height in the pics so far. Is that how an IS is supposed to look?
                          Yes. The LSD will tell the story. Why does it matter anyways? If it's missing all of the IS bits it's an I with a badge. They are the same car.
                          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

do you go to skool in davis?

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                              Yes. The LSD will tell the story. Why does it matter anyways? If it's missing all of the IS bits it's an I with a badge. They are the same car.
                              the issue im dealing with the owner is that he is set on the price based on the fact it was an "IS".

If I want any chance at bargaining the price with him, I have to shoot down a few of his claims and give him a reality check that it is not worth as much as he thinks.

Comment

Working...
                              X