Mark D chip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark D chip question

Alright so I have the possibility of getting a Mark D chip. It's ment for a 2.5L m20 w/ 19lb injecktorzzzz. I'm currently running the 19lb injecktorzzzz with a 2.7 stroker. So, would it be hurting my ecu/motor if I ran this chip? If anything, the power wouldn't be as great as the Mark D chip for the 19lb and 2.7. Just checking up before I proceed. Thank you ladies and gents.
    M Coupe

get springz instead yo

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      get springz instead yo
      I might already have a connection for those. THis is a totally different subject though. I'm selling my iMac and someone has that chip he mentioned he might do a part trade for.
      M Coupe

Comment

it should be fine
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          it should be fine
          Very nice. Any others before I consider making the plunge for sure?
          M Coupe

Comment

Do you have an AFR meter?
            Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
            Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
            Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
              Do you have an AFR meter?
              Air/Fuel ratio? I don't believe so. How come?
              M Coupe

Comment

you don't really need it. you won't have any control over the fuel anyway. Just make sure your O2 sensor is working.

basically, it comes down to this - mark D takes an engine that represents his base motor and he tunes for specific mods - 19# injectors, big AFM, 2.7i, etc. But even if you had the exact same mods, your motor is going to be a little different. maybe it needs more fuel or timing, maybe it needs less. But since you are using an off the shelf chip, you are pretty much stuck with what you get. Lucky M 1.3 is smart enough to adjust fuel based on O2 feedback. The important part is they are programmed for the larger injectors.

There's not a big enough difference in the VE of a 2.7 and a 2.5 that the tune is going to be drastically different, especially since you are using the same intake, head and cam. It's certainly going to be closer than a chip made for stock sized injectors.

if you really want a good tune for your engine, you need a custom chip or standalone.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you don't really need it. you won't have any control over the fuel anyway. Just make sure your O2 sensor is working.

basically, it comes down to this - mark D takes an engine that represents his base motor and he tunes for specific mods - 19# injectors, big AFM, 2.7i, etc. But even if you had the exact same mods, your motor is going to be a little different. maybe it needs more fuel or timing, maybe it needs less. But since you are using an off the shelf chip, you are pretty much stuck with what you get. Lucky M 1.3 is smart enough to adjust fuel based on O2 feedback. The important part is they are programmed for the larger injectors.

There's not a big enough difference in the VE of a 2.7 and a 2.5 that the tune is going to be drastically different, especially since you are using the same intake, head and cam. It's certainly going to be closer than a chip made for stock sized injectors.

if you really want a good tune for your engine, you need a custom chip or standalone.
                  Very good to know. And I do have an m30 afm I'll be putting on pooooossibly before the e30 picnic..we'll see how this saturday maps out. Fantastic, this is what I was looking for. I appreciate it good sir :D
                  M Coupe

Comment

the M30 AFM is tricker. I'm not a big fan, it really isn't plug and play unless you have the chip made for it. By all means try it, but it might not run that well. or it could seem fine, but when you put it on a dyno you find it running really lean (like RCwells did).

AFMs were trimmed to a very high accuracy at the factory (they're rather excellent at measuring airflow, just a bit obstructive), so "tooning" it yourself by screwing with the spring isn't likely to work out as well as people think. But usually people here have the "it feels faster so it must be" mentality and eveyone goes with it..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the M30 AFM is tricker. I'm not a big fan, it really isn't plug and play unless you have the chip made for it. By all means try it, but it might not run that well. or it could seem fine, but when you put it on a dyno you find it running really lean (like RCwells did).

AFMs were trimmed to a very high accuracy at the factory (they're rather excellent at measuring airflow, just a bit obstructive), so "tooning" it yourself by screwing with the spring isn't likely to work out as well as people think. But usually people here have the "it feels faster so it must be" mentality and eveyone goes with it..
                      Yeah I'll give it a shot, and if not I'll just sell it and keep the m20 afm in. I do know that I need to get an o2 sensor since it does run a little bit too rich.
                      M Coupe

Comment

If you want a buyer for that mark d, let me know ;)

Comment

What makes you think a 2.5L M20 MarkD chip would be ideally suited for a 2.7L stroker? Fact of the matter is it could hurt your motor, depending on a lot of variables. In reality, the answer to your question is "it depends".
                          sigpic
                          "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                          X