how the hell do I remove this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how the hell do I remove this?

The transmission is still attached to the engine in the car, but everything else has been dropped. I have easy access to this, but the little dowel pin refuses to come out. Any suggestions?

punch and hammer
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

I tried using a screwdriver to force it out, but it wouldn't move. There's not enough clearance for a hammer :(

Comment

Any way to tilt the transmission down some more? You have to remove that dowel.

Comment

the transmission is already tilted down a little bit on a jack. The thing is, it's partially obscured by the vibration damper. I was able to cut the rubber parts on the vibration damper to remove the metal covering, but the part that remains still prevents me from getting a good angle to hammer it out.

Is that the way to remove it? Just to hammer it out?

Comment

Bent hook and some patience.
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

This thread might help. Looks like he just took a hanger and bent it.

RIP

Comment

^^^^^^^^^

If you're lucky and it's not that stuck.
                1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                  ^^^^^^^^^

If you're lucky and it's not that stuck.
                  I have a feeling it is stuck. EVERYTHING on my car has been an uber-bitch to get off. Plus, I took a narrow screwdriver and jammed it into the dowel, and it moved maybe a millimeter.

It should move both ways, right?

Comment

I've used two screw drivers.

Comment

Shifter Connector Pin

Is this a tapered pin that must be removed the same way it went in? Can you get a pair of Channel locks up in the area place a smaller pin/screw on it and press it out.
                      GL

Comment

Be careful not to mushroom out the drift pin. You WILL hate life.
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

i just did (tried...) this saturday night. i spent 30 minutes on it and then gave up. it was relatively slop-free so i just skipped that but replaced the rest of the shifter components.

I had the exhaust and tranny dropped but the driveshaft still connected. No way that thing was coming out with a bent coat hanger.
                          pull: '02 F-250 7.3L 6SPD 4x4, Chipped, Straightpiped, BFG MTKM2.
                          turn: empty stable. lame.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there's no way its simply a slide in or out type of a deal . There would be no reason for it to stay in when driving for thousands of miles. Did you try pushing from both ends?

Comment

pressing it out with a c clamp?
                              sigpic
                              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
                              X