Light bar out on my OBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light bar out on my OBC

My OBC has no back lighting, did a search and it has to be the lightbar. What is the best way of removing the OBC and how should I go about replacing the lightbar?

Thanks

Remove the 2 screws that secure the center trim panel from the bottom. Pop out the 2nd and 4th switch from the left and remove the 2 hidden screws from the top. Pull the entire center trim panel out a bit. This will give you access to the OBC screws. If you still don't have enough room, open the glovebox and remove the left panel trim (1 screw on top and 1 plastic thumb screw). Then you can stick your hand in there and get the screws from the back. Remove the screws nearest the passenger side and only loosen the ones on the drivers side enough to gain access to the lightbar. Pull it out with needle nosed pliers. Some people will get a dremel and notch the plastic trim panel so that you can remove the lightbar without touching the OBC screws again. Magnetic phillips head drivers would be ideal.

Lightbar: go to radio shack and buy 2 bulbs, desolder the old bulbs and solder the new ones in but use a low wattage iron. Try to angle them away from the board and make sure they are evenly spaced. The radio shack 6v bulbs are slightly dimmer than original but last longer. You can compensate for this by spacing them farther from board and closer to the LCD.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Retrofitted mine with Leds, much better light output and will last for years. Info here not too hard of a job at all. Cost me $10 and two hours.

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php?t=16507
      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Great Information both of you, Thanks!

Comment

just did mine with some yellow LEDs looks just like new oem :)
          KEVIN
          http://sr20kschmitz.mybrute.com
          CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
          Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$ :(

Comment

I just did mine, following the procedure outlined here:
            http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_....html#fixlight. Most helpful was the suggestion not to unscrew the bottom screws on the heater panel, and to just bend back the trim panel and pull out the OBC without unscrewing it.

However, when I was bending back the trim (i.e. the center trim panel), it slipped out from being flush behind the long trim panel that is directly above the steering column. I couldn't get it back, and now the center trim panel is sticking out awkwardly. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Can that long trim panel be somehow taken out and put back in? When I tried to bend it to get it back over the center trim panel, it seemed like it would break.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

Any reason why mine is dim during the day and when I turn on my headlights its is completely dark?

Comment

Kinda risky if you ask me. Bending the heater panel because you were too lazy to unscrew the bottom screws doesn't make much sense to me. I've done this numerous times and had no problem getting to the bottom screws. It made the job much easier, as you can then pivot the panel out and see the OBC screws. Which lessens the risk of dropping those screws behind the dash. No need to take out the radio either.

It's pretty strong, try to snap it back. Otherwise, undo the two thumbscrews that hold it from under the steering column.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You can also go thru the glovebox, loosen the screws on the OBC from behind but don't remove them, slide out the OBC just enough to grab the lightbar with needle nose pliers and then replace/solder new bulbs with some from Rat Shack, or buy a new lightbar which is much more expensive.

I've done this job at least once on both E30's I've owned.

I'll try the LED's next time.

Also, the reason it goes dim when you turn on your headlights is by design so it isn't glaringly bright at night.

It would be nice to have a workaround to have a setup so when you turn your lights on during the day, the OBC doesn't dim along with the rest of the dash lights.
                  sigpic
                  1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                  Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                  Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Working...
                  X