Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe a new purchase?

Hey all,

I have been playing with the idea of buying a newer 3 series. I am looking at a 2001 325i. It is in very nice condition, a great color, manual, and nicely equipped. My concern is that there are 105,446 miles.

Now my current car, a '87 325is, has well over 200k miles. I would guess that it is around 250k now and is starting to need some help.

So now I am considering this newer car. Is there anything I should look at when checking the car? Is that way to many miles? The price seems to be good. I am going to test drive the car on Thursday, if it is still there. What would you do? Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks.
    rmousir
    '87is work beater
    the RED BARON!
    RUNNING GREAT!
    After a $10.99 Intake Manifold Gasket.
    sigpic

Like most BMWs, as long as the car has been maintained properly throughout it's life, the mileage shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure the E46 has it's share of problems and things that tend to break, like the E30, but I don't know of them off hand.
    Check out E46Fanatics for more details on that.

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
    And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

What he said. I would try to buy a stick though.
      Yours truly,
      Rich
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Rigmaster
      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

The miles on the car should not be a problem if it was maintained.

The water pump is a minor issue like on most BMW's. It should be replaced if it hasn't been done in the last 60k miles.

Window regulators were an ongoing problem with these cars. The latest revision of the regulators seems to have fixed the problems, but you might find yourself replacing a few of them. Listen for rattling/grinding sounds when raising or lowering the windows. The regulators cost about $70 each and are easily a DIY project.

Look for the dreaded rear subframe/floor cracking issue. It is very rare, but does happen. If the car has not been modified and is stock, then BMW will actually step up and fix the issue now. There has been a class action lawsuit that seems to have been successful. But you have to get it looked at soon to qualify.

There are some other minor issues and some more major, but most are rare.

You'll find that they are very smooth and responsive cars. They are great daily drivers.
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Working...
        X