Overheating!Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating!Help

Hey guys i got a '89 325i, its been overheating lately so i dont drive as much, today i decided to go around the block and i went about 200 yards from where i live and the car instantly overheated really bad, i got back to my house checked the waterpump and the coolant in it was still cold im thinking the coolant just gets stuck somewhere or something. what do you think the problem is? thank you for your help!

hmmm.....

had this same problem on my dad's mercedes clk. It's not that your engine is actually overheating, there's just a problem with the temperature gauge/reading system. Or at least that's what it was on the Benz. I'm not sure how to fix, seeing as he just took it to the shop, but I'm sure someone on here will.

Comment

^^
      on our cars that would just be a bad temp. sensor but that would also cuase the car to run rich/lean if it was indicating hot/cold tempatures. you could have a bad thermostat or temp sensor if you have been noticing your car running a little wierd

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangstbd View Post
        ^^
        cuase the car to run rich/lean if it was indicating hot/cold tempatures. you could have a bad thermostat or temp sensor if you have been noticing your car running a little wierd
        True that, the Mercedes that had a bad temp sensor ran very differently and cut out alot

Comment

im guessing its my thermostat, im going to replace it tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

It either is overheating, and I would guess your WP is shot. Or its not, and is just a bad temp sensor.
            Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Im sorry but what is a WP?

Comment

Water pump

Comment

have you done anything to the coolant system recently that could have caused an air bubble? changed fluid,hoses etc etc? is the heater blowing cold when on full blast?
                  We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                  www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Either the solder joints on the SI board are cracked or the temp sensor is toast (both are likely). The car shouldnt overheat after being driven 200 yards, even if the water pump wasnt turning.

But, like Blunt suggested, if you did work to the coolant system shortly before the issue presented itself, it could be as simple as bleeding the system a bit more extensively.

Comment

No i didn't do anything to the coolant system at all. i just filled it with a little bit of coolant thats all. I should also replace my temp sensor while im at it. and if that doesnt work i will keep you guys updated. Thanks alot guys for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X