Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone bought the Re-valved Struts from GC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone bought the Re-valved Struts from GC?

So my struts finally came in today. Im a bit confused on all the pieces that came with it. Im doing a self install but im not too familiar with aftermarket struts. So here's the deal, for those of you that have ordered these, you know the 2 gray metal bars that come packaged seperatly?

My idea is that those 2 bars are to weld into the cut strut housings. But then again i thought you just cut the strut housing and welded the perch on top. It seems unefficeint to cut off a piece then weld on another tube where it originally was.

Next, are those small white cushony cylinders, im guesing those are just for packaging as they werent wrapped in anything? ;)

Exited to get any help so i can slap these babys on ASAP. Also, is there any other tips that i can use when installing. Appreciate the help. If anyone needs i can try and get some pics up of what im talking about.

I have GC's, and recently reinstalled everything with rebuilt camber plates and have no idea what you are talking about.

Pictures, man. Post pictures.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

he is talking about the spacers that go into the bottom of the strut housing.

Comment

Ahhh, OK. Didn't remove my inserts when we did the suspension work.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

pics of white cushony cylinders?

Comment

guessing that the cushony cylinders are the front strut bumpstops?

Comment

They are the bumpstops. Don't neglect to install them or you'll be buying new struts shortly thereafter. Ask me how I know. :p

Comment

^^^ that makes this thread even better.

Comment

Haha great help great help. So the cushiony cylinders i put on the bottom of the strut inside the strut housings, right? But what about those cylinders? Im going to get some pictures. Do i need the "bumper stops" for the rear ones too?
                  Last edited by SL a.m.>IN; 08-21-2009, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Those are the bumpstops. Put them around the shiny shaft of the strut when you install them.
                    '89 325i track sloot
                    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
                      Those are the bumpstops. Put them around the shiny shaft of the strut when you install them.
                      do i need them on the back too? or just the fronts?

Comment

If you have them for the back, use them.
                        '89 325i track sloot
                        '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

i dont :/ i have to buy some then, how much do i cut of the strut housing? About 3inches right?

Comment

lol not to be mean but this doesn't sound like its gonna turn out so great. You need to do a lot of reading before you ruin your new parts welding them wrong etc.

1. are the bumpstops
                            2. are the spacers that go under the strut inserts
                            3. are the collar nuts that hold the strut inserts into the housing
                            ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Working...
                            X