Clunking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunking sound

When I let out the clutch on my car I sometimes hear a clunking sound. I haven't had a chance to look at the drivetrain, but what do you think is the problem? U-joints, Diff, axles? From how the clutch feels and the sound, I can tell there is a bit of slack somewhere in the car.

i have the same issue on my car. :(

Comment

is it when you take your car out of first and you hear a little clunk then a tiny rattle?

90 325is alpine2 m50b25 becoming a dorifto car.

Comment

Originally posted by anstead610 View Post
        is it when you take your car out of first and you hear a little clunk then a tiny rattle?
        humm... not sure. I will have to listen more closely next time I drive it. But I can say that it is more of a combined feeling/sound where I can hear/feel the slack being taken up by the drivetrain. It does seem worse with the lower gears though.

Comment

just asking because my car did that. if i had it in first and took it out, let the clutch out there was a little clunk and then a little rattling noise. never happened in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th, or reverse.

90 325is alpine2 m50b25 becoming a dorifto car.

Comment

Originally posted by anstead610 View Post
            mine does this

Comment

Mine did this. It was the rear axel. If that helps anyone.

Comment

mines doing that also, found out the inside CV boots are trashed. only happens in 1st or 2nd letting on the clutch at slow speeds.

Comment

probably the csb if you here it thumping right next you thats your best bet

Comment

Mine makes this odd "snap" followed by a rattle......just won a new 87,000 mile trans on ebay...going to pick it up this afternoon and have a set of axles on the way. I know my trans is housed tho and my axles have slop in them. Also rattles while I let it warm up in the morning when in neutral with the clutch let out. I believe they call this the "getrag rattle". If I remember right, I read somewhere this means your input bearings or something along those lines are garbage.....:)

BUT THIS!!!!! http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=194272

Comment

Isn't why they are called CLUNKERS?????

Comment

Originally posted by LosBemmer View Post
                        I dont want my car to clunk lol, it makes me nervous to drive it hard and also makes it hard to drive smoothly.

There is no rattle, just a clunking/faint bang when I let out the clutch. Also if I am coasting along and apply the gas quickly it makes the same sound.

Comment

Originally posted by LosBemmer View Post
                          I dont want my car to clunk lol, it makes me nervous to drive it hard and also makes it hard to drive smoothly.

There is no rattle, just a clunking/faint bang when I let out the clutch. Also if I am coasting along and apply the gas quickly it makes the same sound.

Comment

Guibo
                            u joints
                            csb
                            or input bearing

Take your pick
                            sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

this happens to me when I'm in reverse, as soon as I push the clutch in I hear a few clunks coming from the rear.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Working...
                              X