craftsman tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

craftsman tools?

so i am tired of having my no name crap socket wrenches either not fitting or breaking on me when i am in the middle of a job. i found this tool kit from sears and wanted to know if it is worth it or if i should go for a different brand. basically i am looking for something that will last for a very long time and not give me any problems. thanks.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Craftsman are decent tools. If they break on you all you have to do is take them into Sears and you get a free replacement with no questions asked. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me, especially for the price. Personally though, I prefer Snap-on.

Comment

i have the same problem.
      both my friends have snap on and craftsman...and i think craftsman is the better brand. plus the lifetime warranty
      ]

Comment

The only time I buy craftsman tools is when they are broken and near free at a garage sale.

Comment

I like my Craftsman tools. They do what they where ment to do. Although the screw drivers could be alittle better.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

If you can't afford really good tools ie: snap-on, sk etc. which I can't, I think crapsmen are a good choice. As mentioned when it breaks, which it probably will, you get free replacements.

Comment

they are just fine for the price you pay.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Good tools. As mentioned, the screw drivers can sometimes not take a ton of abuse, but on the other hand I have abused them a good bit with no problems. Only had a problem once. I did open the end of an open ended wrench just enough to cause it not to grip bolts well, but that was using it and a long pipe for leverage on a real bitch of a bolt. I then got the bolt using my cheap craftsman ratchet and said pipe with no problems. I've put Lots of torque on my low end craftsman ratchet with not a hint of trouble out of it. If you don't have the money or need for Super high end tools, craftsman is definitely a good option as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: At some point when you have the cash you might want to invest in one of their screwdriver sets. They come with ~5 philips and equal number of flats in all different sizes. Not always necessary but super handy to have the perfect one for any occasion.

Comment

Weekend projects - craftsman are okay. i personally dont like the fit of the wrenches.

My toolbox is 95% snapon. I mainly by craftsman if I need something right away, or if i know i'll be cutting it/bending it/customizing.

Sounds like you'll be okay with craftsman. hell, you can get a huge craftsman set for the price of like, 8 wrenches from snapon lol.

Kyle
                  1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                  DILLIGAF

Comment

i have a little bit of everything. snap on, craftsman, husky (home depot) and duralast (autozone)

as far as simple hand tools go they are all pretty much equal. but i have notice that todays husky tools look a little cheaper. i dont own any of the recent stuff. the husky tools i own are a set of wrenches and a socket set. i bought those back when husky came out with a bang.

Comment

sometimes its just not the quality of the tools, its fitment.
                      example is on some craftsmen box end wrenches wont get into tite locations.
                      to much metal on the wrench.
                      snap-on will.

snap on comes to me (thats why I use them)
                      craftsmen you have to go to them.

but when you use tools everyday, you can feel the quality!

Comment

Why not just a paper clip and/or shoelace? Huh, McGyver?
                        - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
                        Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

I don't know how you guys break so many tools, I hardly break anything even with abuse and these are using my dads tools almost all Craftsman and many are older than I am, he has been working on cars for as long as I've been alive. There are better tools out there but more expensive and swap outs are the easiest with Craftmans cause theres 2 Sears pretty close to my house and for common tools even Kmart will have them in stock.
                          sigpic

Comment

well im an ASE satisfied tech at my house i use all craftsmen tool except the sockets i have all snap on sockets. But other than that Craftsman ALL THE WAY!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Craftsman has good tools but they are kind of generic. Since they're not power tools, they're still made in the USA. I use an old 1970s (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) set that still has its warranty of course. They're no doubt worth what you pay for. Snap on is a bit more expensive but as for a ratchet, snap on takes the cake. You can really crank with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X