Clear All

Autos:
    for American sissies
    Manuals:
    for everyone else

Are you a sissy?

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
    Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

who would most likely spend a bunch of money on an auto medal bumper vert--- a sissy

Comment

I had almost gotten used to my slushbox e30. It was at least predictable in it's shifting patterns. modern slushboxes take far too many factors into consideration (torque, rpm, speed, throttle position, engine temp, weather?) to be predictable.

With the 4hp22, I could floor it (without depressing the kickdown switch), to 4k, let up just a bit and it'd shift to the next gear, and then floor it again. New stuff has an electronic kickdown switch which can't be felt in the pedal. FTL.

Some modern crap (looking at you, dodge) have throttle pedals that are so light and fluffy, you can't help but depress it slightly further when you go over bumps. And when you do floor it, it drops to the lowest possible gear, completely ignoring the fact that your 3.8L pushrod v6 minivan doesn't have any torque at 5,000 rpm.

Try this in a dodge. Put it in L, and floor it. It'll leave L, and go to 2,3, and finally 4, once you hit the uppermost shift point. the 4hp22 will stay in 1 when you put it there, like it's supposed to.

The only somewhat redeeming attribute that has been applied to modern slushboxes are the "manu-matic" modes, call them what you will. At least you can use low end torque if you shift manually (insofar as the slushboxes infinite wisdom will allow, of course).

The G260 does what I tell it, when I tell it, and when it doesn't, it's my own damn fault.
        Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM. Reason: F**************ck slushboxes

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
          automatics are for trucks and volvos ;-)
          watch it... ;) my volvo a good deal quicker than my E30. It's auto -- DD though, so that's why.

My E30 is to make sure I don't waste money on something FWD. :P

I think that most people looking for an E30 will want a manual, because as a old used car, no one will really want an automatic. Most people looking for an E30 will want them because they're an E30.

people looking for e30s = enthusiasts.
          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

who's idea was it to make auto's? they should all be scrapped for material to make Borbet 16x9's.:)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

so far its about 11 for manual, 3 for auto and 3 say don't bother swapping it.

Comment

If you were to sell it later the person who would be looking for a little BMW convertible like Lisa Turtle will probably be looking for an automatic. She did crash Mr. Belding's wife's Miata.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by imdashiz View Post
                  in newer cars, manual cost more than auto even though they have the same everything. should be the same thing for older cars
                  Wtf? It's the other way around..

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    watch it... ;) my volvo a good deal quicker than my E30. It's auto -- DD though, so that's why.
                    my DD is a truck and my mom drives a volvo. Preempting the flame. hehe

I'd rock a T5 in a heartbeat!
                    '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                      my DD is a truck and my mom drives a volvo. Preempting the flame. hehe

I'd rock a T5 in a heartbeat!
                      If you see me around town or at an NCEuro meet -- I'm the red S70 with the yellow headlights and the volvospeed stickers on the side. T5 FTW. :)

I am also interested to hear that manuals are more expensive these days? wat
                      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

when i was looking for an auto for gf, they were more expensive and rarer in e30 models.

Comment

is this fucking question for reals?
                          Originally posted by e30e
                          lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Ask US automakers. They seem to think so.

Comment

? Is for real. The swap is easy and I already have all the parts so I'm up in the air about it

Comment

go 5 speed. and since you already have it half apart...... 24v swap... just sayin.
                                Live Fast. Drive Faster.

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... :)
                                You wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences :(

Comment

Working...
                                X