318is vs 325i What do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
    see, your taking me the wrong way. I was never bashing on the M42- just stating the M20 is more powerful. the S14 has no torque- just like the M42-- but it does have about 70hp more- which makes a big difference.

I guess coming from a muscle car V8 background I just like the feel of a bit of torque from down low-- not that the M20 has alot of that either though.
    Eh the b27 has plenty of low end grunt, I loved it for DD duty.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

This may help. At my last autocross I was driving a bone stock M42 with 160k miles with shit stock suspension and did 1.27 seconds better than a 89 325i and he had billie sports, h&r races and some really nice tires.... take this as you will but the M42 is a pretty damn good little car, noisy yes all in all it really gives you a great experience. (My background: 1st car MGB then moved to Jags and Explorers, two each, and then to this car. I dont know if its bc its like my first car or what but it really is very rewarding to drive. You can feel everything and after all aren't we enthusiasts? There is a reason why I chose the M42 over the M20....)

Comment

Originally posted by carguy101 View Post
        This may help. At my last autocross I was driving a bone stock M42 with 160k miles with shit stock suspension and did 1.27 seconds better than a 89 325i and he had billie sports, h&r races and some really nice tires.... take this as you will but the M42 is a pretty damn good little car, noisy yes all in all it really gives you a great experience. (My background: 1st car MGB then moved to Jags and Explorers, two each, and then to this car. I dont know if its bc its like my first car or what but it really is very rewarding to drive. You can feel everything and after all aren't we enthusiasts? There is a reason why I chose the M42 over the M20....)
        The only problem with this is that there are two different drivers with two different driving skill levels. I honestly prefer underpowered cars myself. I haven't driven an M42 or an M20 but my take on the situation is that the M42 probably isn't much faster in the corners than an M20 if any. I think though that the variable that wold make it faster though is the feel, giving the M42 driver more confidence to push it in the corners than if he were driving an M20 through the same corner. In the end though it's all down to driver preference. I understand and appreciate the benefits of torque but at the end of the day I just prefer the car I can rev the piss out of.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

/thread

Comment

That was really, really funny.

Comment

lmmfao wow. that was amazing

]Real sht

Comment

HAHAHA!! That is gold!!!

Turbo M42 Build thread:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

lol that video was pretty funny.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                    lol that video was pretty funny.
                    not as funny as "newmeninsidehim" but still funny

]Real sht

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                      its all in what you want.

if you want: gokart, nimble, sick exhaust sound at 6500-7000rpms, thrash around in and out of every single intersection or curve in the redline all day long over and over again with out to many problems- 318i/is

Kinda have to say, the above sums it up for me.

if you want: even powerband thats stronger, classic exhaust note, little less nimble stock to stock, sick 1-2-3 burnouts, and broken rocker arms ;) - 325i/is
                      Kinda sums it up for me.....
                      sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Working...
                      X