Bored? Want a good read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bored? Want a good read?

Hey guys! I just finished my paper for a class (The Social Psychology of Leisure) and I got to write on driving my E30! anyways...just thought I would post it since it's somewhat relevant. Critique if you want.

Windshield Wipers Waving for an Audience of One

Hearing the engine roar and feeling myself get yanked forward as my tires begin to squeal is the experience I live for, and is the reason why driving is my favourite leisure activity. Some call it obsession, some call it a waste of time and money, and some call it stupid, but I call it passion. To me there is no better way to spend a Saturday than in ratty clothes with my hands and face covered in grease, oil, and sweat lying underneath a car...aside from actually getting to cruise with that car later that night. Driving provides me with the satisfaction of fulfilling many leisure properties, and also creates an environment that fosters and generates flow experiences. Finally, driving and customizing my car allows me to fulfill many of the innate needs regarding leisure activities. It is unfortunate, but leisure constraints do exist. These constraints occasionally put a hold on my ability to undertake my favourite leisure activity, but the rewards derived from driving always allow me to prevail and overcome these hinderances.

In December of grade ten I got my first job, a shelf stocker at Princess Auto. I worked about twenty hours a week and made a fair bit of money, but every dollar I earned there went straight into my savings account. I was saving up for my favourite car of all time, an E30 BMW. E30 refers to the chassis designation, given to the three series BMW built between 1982, and 1991. Finally, in the summer of grade 12 I had enough money to start looking, and it wasn’t long after that a gorgeous “brilliant red” BMW 318is caught my eye. The car was not for sale, but after much pestering, I convinced the owner to sell it to me. The first time I saw the car I was hooked. When I went to test-drive it, I sat in the loving embrace of the Recaro sport seats and knew this was the perfect car for me. Since this time, working on and driving my car has become a form of serious leisure for me. However, I really only consider this a leisure activity when I am alone with the car and I can devote all of my five senses to it. I love listening to the engine, the hum of the rubber on the asphalt, the ping of the exhaust, the sound my hands make on the leather wrapped steering wheel, the methodical back and forth action of the windshield wipers as I drive through the rain, and best of all, how the car makes me feel emotionally. Ideally, I drive my car as often as I can (aside from winter, when I store it) but my favourite drives are on weekend nights, when I can cruise the open roads, listen to my car, and enjoy the euphoria. My destinations are never planned, and my route varies each time, which inevitably adds to the excitement of the drive.

How can one categorize driving their car as a leisure activity? Determining whether an activity is considered a leisure activity is a complex and involving task as what is leisure for one person, may not be true for another. I consider long, solo drives in my car a leisure activity because of how many leisure properties I experience while driving. Walking towards my car, before I even drive it evokes emotions that are very intimate, personal and arousing. The lines of the E30 flow so effortlessly, and it truly is hard to take your eyes off it. The pinnacle of German engineering and BMW styling can be seen through the E30. When I first start up the engine, and throw it into first, I experience a level of freedom unlike anything else. I am in control of everything from this moment on, and my BMW willingly obeys, begging for more. A leisure activity must satisfy many leisure properties for the participant, often offering a sense of freedom from the everyday mundane, and provide personal freedom to let your mind and body truly relax. A leisure activity is undertaken primarily for intrinsic reasons, with little motivation through external factors. Often a sense of timelessness accompanies this sense of freedom and the participant can find him/herself lost in the experience. Many people do not understand how these leisure properties are most satisfied for myself when I am behind the wheel of a car that pre-dates the internet. But for me the simplicity and effectiveness of the interior, the feedback the car gives me as I am driving, and the raw European styling all translates into a transcending bliss. As I drive, I am not pressured by extrinsic factors such as money, winning a title, or social pressures. I drive through pure intrinsic passion. I drive because it is what I love to do, and because of how many leisure properties it satisfies for me and how it makes me feel. This is what a true leisure activity must do, and this is why I drive.

As defined by Csikszentmihalyi, a flow experience describes a moment when you are completely immersed in an activity, your concentration and senses are at a peak level, nothing else matters and the rest of the world is forgotten. Flow experiences are a quintessential component to individual’s happiness, and the more experiences one has, the happier one is. Flow elevates your level of focus and concentration, allowing you to participate to your highest ability, and can help you achieve your goals and aspirations, as you are mentally free from intrusive thoughts. As I drive, it is not simply gas on the right, brake on the left, ten and two. Driving is a full body, involving experience that requires immense amounts of practice. Evolving from the primitive style of driving can be a frustrating and time-consuming practice, but it is necessary if one is to ever achieve a flow experience through driving. Learning to monitor gauges like your air/fuel ratio, boost, oil pressure, and engine temperature while driving is much like trying to figure out what a baby wants through its cries. The signals are there, but it is up to you to diagnose what a low boost delivery, rich air/fuel ratio, high or low engine temperature or falling oil pressure means and how to treat it. Csikszentmihalyi explains that three conditions must exist in order for a flow experience to take place. Firstly, there must be goals that are clearly defined for and set by the participant. If no goals are set, there cannot be a sense of achievement when these are completed. Secondly, there needs to be a balance between challenge and skills. If one participates in an activity that is very challenging but lacks the skills to be competent, they will likely experience a looming sense of anxiety, and not enjoy the experience, and consequently not flow. Conversely, if one participates in an activity that they excel in and there is not enough of a challenge a feeling of boredom is likely. A flow channel exists where challenge and skills are in harmony. Lastly, clear feedback is required so the participant can modify their behaviors if necessary in order to continue the flow experience. I achieve flow experiences driving when I improve a skill, such as heel-toe shifting or rev matching. My goal is clearly defined, I have enough skill to be competent and there is enough of a challenge to keep me boredom free, and my car provides me with feedback through the sound of the engine. As I flow, it becomes evident that it is quite possible to program a flow experience. In order to program a flow experience there needs to be a minimization of distractions (in this case, the radio), reasonable expectations set, and an emphasis on skill development rather than competition (RLS-123 January lecture) on top of the initial three flow conditions. Flow is an essential component to achieving both happiness and the desire to continue with a specific leisure activity. Driving satisfies the flow conditions for me, and subsequently it is easy for me to program a flow experience through driving, which brings both my E30 and I back begging for more.

CONTINUED
    Last edited by mamzak; 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM. Reason: dumb intro
    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Deci and Ryan (1991) express that humans have three fundamental needs that they want satisfied. Through leisure, these innate needs such as autonomy, belongingness, and competence are fulfilled. Through driving, it is easy to take control back from external sources, and place it conveniently into my hands. Which part I customize or modify, which turn I take at the fork in the road, every choice I make while driving places me back in the figurative drivers seat and closer to complete autonomy. Statistically speaking, one is far more likely to consider an activity as leisure if one has the choice of whether or not to begin the activity (Shaw 1984, and Wang 2009). Similarly, I see my Saturday night drives as leisure because I don’t have a specific destination in mind, I drive because I choose to drive, providing me with a sense of autonomy and fulfilling one of my innate needs. I also find autonomy through the customization of my car. Being able to add and modify specific parts to suit my tastes provides me with a great deal of satisfaction and is rewarded by stares, and compliments from fellow E30 enthusiasts. My mind wanders as I browse through catalogues of parts, free to choose what ever I want. The BMW E30 is arguably one of BMW’s greatest achievements and is one of their most iconic cars to date. Consequently there is a monstrous following for these marvels of engineering through online forums such as www.E30tech.com and www.r3vlimited.com. These forums of E30 lovers provide an immense sense of belonging. For one, in order to post and communicate with the group you need to create an account and have a membership which automatically instills a sense of family. Secondly, the passion for these cars often sparks conversations that can last for weeks on the same topic, with everyone offering their two cents. The common interest of the group bring the members together with a sense of unity and solidarity. Deci and Ryan’s belief that humans require a sense of competence proves to be true when I both work on, and drive my car. When a part fails, or I desire something fresh and exciting I am rewarded with a feeling of accomplishment and mastery when I remediate the problem. A sense of pride is also attained through the customization of my E30, and is evident when others compliment me on my skills and knowledge. Some of the conditions that allow me to flow, also provide me with a sense of competence. As I learn a new technique or master a new road I become a more adept and competent driver. Not only does the mastery of new techniques provide me with leisure benefits, but many practical applications are also attained. Winter driving for example is much easier and less intimidating when I know exactly how my car will behave in less than ideal conditions. Through driving, I satisfy all three of my “innate needs”, providing myself with a sense of autonomy, belongingness and competence.

Unfortunately, leisure can often be constrained by intrapersonal, interpersonal, and structural factors. In the case of customizing my car I experience a disappointing multitude of constraints. As rewarding as customizing an E30 is, there comes a time when the bank balance reads insufficient and imagination is the only form of customizing that can take place. This structural constraint is the most common and hated among E30 enthusiasts such as myself. The second most hated, but not all that common constraint occurs when a part fails while driving and the car is no longer usable for leisure purposes until funds and parts are available. As customization reaches more advanced levels and parts like shocks and springs are revamped, roads and ground clearance becomes an issue. A severe leisure constraint, the medieval cobblestone roads of Edmonton pose a major threat to flow experiences as you have to slow down and swerve around gaping crevices to avoid damage. Intrapersonal factors such as the lack of time or obligations to other activities serve as constraints to my favourite leisure activity. As assignments pile up and sports take over, the E30 tends to take an unfortunate back-seat position. Interpersonal factors such as the individuals in my life that deem aimless driving and customization a frivolous past-time also pose a threat to my willingness to partake in these activities. Some people don’t understand how I can spend hours upon hours polishing and perfecting the appearance of my car, or any of the other time consuming and costly endeavours I undertake. This often makes me second guess partaking and might result in me completely avoiding the activity. The various constraints, such as structural, intrapersonal and interpersonal factors placed upon my E30 and I often threaten to break us apart and keep us from one another. It is unfortunate that these leisure constraints restrict the amount of time I can spend partaking in my favourite leisure activity.

There is no greater joy than roaring down a country road, listening to the purr of the German engineered monster in front of you, in control of your destiny, and free from various constraints. The satisfaction attained through programmed or spontaneous flow experiences surpasses any other feeling on earth and inevitably brings you back wanting more. This leisure oriented task fulfills each innate need as defined by Deci and Ryan. Driving and customizing my 1991 318is provides something to do in residual time that is primarily intrinsically motivated, and is thus my favourite leisure activity.

Comment

Will this come up on turnitin.com? ;D

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

First sentence should be "yanking".

Haven't read the rest--will post thoughts when done.

Body roll+perspective=the poor man's drop

Comment

Originally posted by Slangbox View Post
          First sentence should be "yanking".

Haven't read the rest--will post thoughts when done.
          Wouldn't it only be "yanking" if I didn't have the s on the end of forward?

yank forwards works doesn't it? hmmm.

Comment

Am I accurate in my assumption that you're 16? For the sake of your grammar, I hope that I'm correct. The first two sentences were painful.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by mamzak View Post
              Wouldn't it only be "yanking" if I didn't have the s on the end of forward?

yank forwards works doesn't it? hmmm.
              No. There is no word "forwards" btw. There is only "forward". And your verb tenses don't agree. It needs to be "yanking".

Overall not a bad paper though. Seems like a pretty restricting prompt, no? One of those where it gives you 4 or 5 points to include? Those are the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                Am I accurate in my assumption that you're 16? For the sake of your grammar, I hope that I'm correct. The first two sentences were painful.
                Crap. Yeah I need to fix that intro. haha read on. I hope the rest isn't painful?
                Last edited by mamzak; 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Oh fuck sorry I was reading it wrong. I was reading it as you yanking the car forward, but you were referring to the engine. My fault. A little confusing, that sentence. But I'm on percocet, so... Disregard me.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                    My thoughts exactly.
                    -Pierre
                    1987 535is
                    1988 325is

Comment

"I live for the roar of the engine as it yanks my car forward and the tires begin to squeal. It's my favorite leisure pastime."

"Hearing the engine roar as it yanks my car forward, tires squealing, is what I live for. It's my favorite leisure pastime."

"Hearing the engine roar as it yanks my car forward, tires squealing, is my favorite leisure pastime. It's what I live for."

One of those.
                      Last edited by Raxe; 03-28-2010, 11:51 PM.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

fixed the intro? What do you guys think? It's due tomorrow, so any other suggestions are gladly accepted!

Comment

Nice words my friend ... I like it !
                          just one "fix it" note : E30's were built until 04/93 . Ask me how I know

Originally posted by E30_fiend
                          Simply sexy.
                          Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30ka
                          man... I took my little E30 outside for a ride, now 5sp.... there is no other car like E30... PERIOD. Don't know how to explain, but driving E30 is like having sex with a girl of your dreams, but the girl is a bit inexperienced, so you have to show her what to do and she will do it beautifully! ohhh man... after I got the 5sp tranny in it, it is all new love all over again! :)))

Comment

Cool! thanks man!

Comment

my pleasure

Originally posted by E30_fiend
                              Simply sexy.
                              Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30ka
                              man... I took my little E30 outside for a ride, now 5sp.... there is no other car like E30... PERIOD. Don't know how to explain, but driving E30 is like having sex with a girl of your dreams, but the girl is a bit inexperienced, so you have to show her what to do and she will do it beautifully! ohhh man... after I got the 5sp tranny in it, it is all new love all over again! :)))

Comment

Working...
                              X