No announcement yet.

is an e30 right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have to agree with LedJetta. There are a bunch of factors that will help when buying an E30. They can be expensive for some people, it's a hit or miss, but the majority of the cost is from labor. Check around in your area or talk to some guys on the forums about scrap yards and how easy local parts are to obtain. I am 20 and just purchased by first car which is an E30 and it is damn near impossible to find parts at a scrap yard here, I took that risk and it's already bit me in the ass once. However I love the car and I wanted to make this epic journey.

Finding one in good condition is a good start too. Typically one that hasn't been modded/chopped is a good place to start. These are generally owned by older people (Not that over 30 is over the hill, I'm only 20 so I use this term loosely :) ) and they haven't made any big performance modifications. And as people have mentioned rust is a big issue, try to avoid that. Also as you read around you will learn a lot more about things to look for, like was the timing belt replaced regularly? When was the last time (if at all) the water pump was replaced, etc.

Check out this thread and what people have to say, it's a good writeup.
    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Good luck,
    Aaron
    r3vlimited Lanyard Group Buy!!!

Comment

I would stick with the volvo at this point unless you can get a really good deal. The cars have almost reached cult following- meaning every dickhead thats sick of his civic is 'yo im gettin into the "e30 game"'. These guys tend to throw outrageous prices on their junk because they have no regard for the "market". So if youre set on finding one heres what i'd look for.

-service history
      -Any sort of wiring botchery that can be seen- Just because an older person owned it doesent mean his mechanic isnt a hack (take the harness cover off, fuse panel, make sure nothings tampered with)
      - rust is a tough one, because it can be tough to spot. - Open the suroof, look under the carpet, and look underneath the trunk tray. Just because a car hasnt been exposed to salt doesent mean it never had drainage/window seal issues.

So if you come uopn a car that doesent run and these other things check out, jump on it. Most of the time this is the best deal youre going to get. If thats the case check for tension on the t-belt. (you can reach down and check w/out taking anything apart) Even if you can prove to the seller the motor's bad and score it for a few hundred bucks its only a 200 dollar JY motor, and a fun weekend with your friends. At that point youll be comfortable doing whatever you want to it. good luck

-Jay
      -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
      2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

things can add up quickly if you get unlucky and the car hasn't had most of the essential things replaced recently. a suspension overhaul, for example, is not "cheap".
        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Id go out on a limb and say 90% of e30's for sale in the 2-3k range have bad suspension parts. The forums classifieds dont count, because if the car runs thats usually the first thing an enthusiast will fix.
          -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
          2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
            Id go out on a limb and say 90% of e30's for sale in the 2-3k range have bad suspension parts. The forums classifieds dont count, because if the car runs thats usually the first thing an enthusiast will fix.
            I totally agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by androoskie View Post
              where is the best place to look for a e30? ive been craigslisting for a few weeks, and theres not much out there.

There are like 4 or 5 325is's on norcal craigs right now.

An E30 is a great car to learn on. Semi modern but not yet overly complex. If you can change your oil, you can probably handle most of the basic maintenance on an E30, sparing maybe more complex tasks like say a timing belt(and even that's not that bad).
              sigpic
              "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

nope. mine has never started since its been my dd for the past 3 years.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, should I go six cylinders or only four? Well to tell you the truth, I can't tell you what to do in all this excitement. But being as there is a 24v swap, the most common engine swap in the e30 community and will smoke your tires clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?
                  My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

so i am looking for an is cause i want a coupe, but like Nairb said.. 318 or 325. im leaning toward the 325 cause the power. i know the 318 is better on gas but i would rather have the inline 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
                      I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, should I go six cylinders or only four? Well to tell you the truth, I can't tell you what to do in all this excitement. But being as there is a 24v swap, the most common engine swap in the e30 community and will smoke your tires clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?
                      That was pretty good, made me lol.
                      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by androoskie View Post
                        so i am looking for an is cause i want a coupe, but like Nairb said.. 318 or 325. im leaning toward the 325 cause the power. i know the 318 is better on gas but i would rather have the inline 6.
                        What is your starting budget? That will come into play here.

Mine never let me down until I pulled the engine out of it. Now the swap is sorted out (much to long due to my inexperience) and again it's fine.

Things like suspension bushings, struts, shock mounts, seats, etc all will need replaced but aren't required for the car to go from a to b.

That said they have their quirks, and do require you learning how to work on them. For some reason my fog light circuit decided to stop working about a week ago, no clue why. Little sensors not working, etc etc. They are a bit finicky in my opinion, and require work and love but they can be rewarding too.

I've learned an unbelievable amount about cars owning one, which was exactly my goal. In the end, I feel a bit rewarded. Things add up, though.
                        Originally posted by z31maniac
                        I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

1. Do you have an excellent supply of tools, like air compressor and such, not just a cardboard box with miscellaneous tools shoved in it?

2. Do you have a safe reliable place to work on it in? Somewhere you can leave it apart for a week or so?

3. Do you have the patience or foresight to buy your parts from a reputable online parts house, and wait when something screws up?

4. Can you complete a project without getting too sidetracked into "while I am in here"?

Normally when some retard says "should I get an E30?" my response is always NO.

Since you seem to be not too retarded, I will throw more decision weight: answer any of those above questions wrong and you should not get an E30.

These cars are not a purchase, they are a commitment.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

BTW: buy 2.

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
                              Haha^

E30>JDM FTW!

My vote's for a 325is w/ good service records, no rust, and a stright body.

Just bought my 325 few months ago and it has shit paint (why I don't have a sig), but has 23 years of records, all major work done in last year (alt,water pump,timing belt,valve job,etc.), no rust, and a stright body so I can get it repainted w/ minimal body work and I bought it for well under $2k. :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                                1. Do you have an excellent supply of tools, like air compressor and such, not just a cardboard box with miscellaneous tools shoved in it?
                                I had to because I did my whole swap and literally used a cardboard box with misc tools in it. Do not recommend.

I have since spent 25 dollars on a toolbox, totally worth it.
                                Originally posted by z31maniac
                                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Working...
                                X