Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what e30 should I get....

I'll try and keep this short.

I want an e30 to split the driving time with my e36. I love my e36 like none other, but I've poured way too much money into it to park in a packed parking lot with shoping carts and car doors flying everywhere. Also, I'm strongly considering doing an s52 swap since short of suspension, my e36 is perfect. It runs great, except for that wheel bearing that's going in tomorrow, looks great, paint is glossy etc... and insurance will rape me on an m3.

I've driven a few e30s in the past 6 months and I really like teh feel of them and I think that although they're at least 15 years old now, they're still solid reliable cars.

Soo... I want something to drive when I need to pick up some chips at the store and something taht's fun to drive on the twisty roads to work, something to keep some miles and more importantly road wear off the e36 and I think the e30 fits those perameters perfectly.

I've narrowed it down to this for an e30... it must have plastic bumpers and must be 5 speed. I could go for either a sedan or coupe. I don't know however if I should get a 325 or 318. Lately I've really been leaning towards a 318is since they're lighter, have sports seats, are rare (which is cool, but works against me while looking for a car) and they get better gas mileage than my 325. I'm looking to spend around 2k, and might go as high as 3k for one in better shape.

So basically, if this were you, what would you choose and why, and do i really need an e30 in the first place? I know I will start modding it and throw more money down the I love my car, its super fun toilet.

e36 325is woot!

id say 318 just for the gas mileage as a daily.

Comment

I would suggest one without a M badge.
      The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Where are you? 3k wont pull shit but a 84 318 or a 325 here. Id think even in socal that isnt going to get you into 318is territory, at least not a clean one.

The 318 is a good reliable economic engine, the kicker is it will make your E36 feel fast. If you got an eta it would feel almost as fast as the E36, its a lying bitch like that. The Eta still gets good mileage too and you just gotta change the timing belt occasionally.

I have to warn you, though, every person I know who has bought a clean E30 'as a beater' has fallen in love with it and are now auto-x'in them and pissing money away. For that reason get the 318, its so impotent you wont wanna tune it. The Eta makes you think it actually has potential.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
          For that reason get the 318, its so impotent you wont wanna tune it. The Eta makes you think it actually has potential.
          ....Say what?
          Trevor Ely
          '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
          '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

I have to warn you, though, every person I know who has bought a clean E30 'as a beater' has fallen in love with it.
            FWIW. I bought my e30 in a beat ass run to the ground state for $800 as a beater. Look what I ended up doing with it.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm3n528
              For that reason get the 318, its so impotent you wont wanna tune it. The Eta makes you think it actually has potential.
              ....Say what?
              318s actually feel as powerless as they are. Since the Eta has torque it kind makes you feel like you are accelerating but once the car actually starts moving its got no balls. It kind lies to you.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                I have to warn you, though, every person I know who has bought a clean E30 'as a beater' has fallen in love with it.
                FWIW. I bought my e30 in a beat ass run to the ground state for $800 as a beater. Look what I ended up doing with it.
                Wait, what have you done with it?

;)
                Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be buying an E30 to be my DD if I had a nice E36.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is
                    I would suggest one without a M badge.

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessE30
                      Originally posted by Jordan
                      Wait, what have you done with it?

;)
                      Look at his pics, Maaco paint job and a Ebay body kit. :D
                      sigpic

Comment

i just filled my tank with 12 gallons of gas after going 340 miles (trip meter)

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm3n528
                          ....Say what?
                          318s actually feel as powerless as they are. Since the Eta has torque it kind makes you feel like you are accelerating but once the car actually starts moving its got no balls. It kind lies to you.
                          nice way to put it

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325
                            nice way to put it
                            Well, it's got to ring true for you more than most, you're not allowed to drive without another person in the car yet.

Comment

I have a 318is and an m3. The 318 is my daily driver and i drive the m3 once in a while on nice days. Do i wish the 318 was as fast as the m3? yes. Am i disapointed every time i press the gas in the 318? no. Its plently fast for a daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X