The Official "Help me get to California" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official "Help me get to California" Thread

My girlfriend and I are moving from Brooklyn to L.A. in December. I plan on taking my beat up ol' Chewbacca with me. She will be our mode of transportation to get out there. I am doing my best to fix 'er up and get her running strong before the trip (thanks, Levent!).

And I am holding off (for now) on MOST of the bodywork and upgrades, because I suspect that once I get out to the Land of Rust Free, Salt Free, Pothole Free Paradise, that I will be tempted by one of the clean classics that have never seen the North East, and I'll give up on restoring my rust bucket. We'll see, though. I do have an attachment, and want to see it through.....

Anyway, we are making a road trip out of the move that will last about 5-6 days. Haven't finalized our route yet, but have a rough plan.

What I need help with is finding contacts and trusty service places along the route incase we run into a problem. Preferably guys who are active on this forum and in the community (not looking for your local BMW dealership, here).

Then, I'd love some suggestions of trusted places I can go to for regular service once I am out in L.A. Can also be San Diego, as we will be spending much time there as well. BASICALLY, I AM LOOKING FOR THE GUTEN PARTS OF THE WEST COAST.

So far, here is our planned road trip with stops:

1. Knoxville, TN
    2. Nashville, TN
    3. Memphis, TN
    4. Ausitn, TX
    5. Albequerque, NM
    6. Cabazon, CA
    7. San Diego, CA..our home base while searching for apartments in L.A.

Also looking for suggestions on stops, interesting places to see, great places to eat, and great highways to cruise upon.

Thanks everybody, let the threading begin!
    Last edited by BrooklynMW; 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM.
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

First pack a decent set of tools and some basic spares with you. You know fluids spare pieces of Rad hose, some hose clamps, maybe a spare alternator or voltage regulator for said alternator. A spare fuel pump, (or two if an early model) a main relay, and some other relays, a roll of duct tape, some stiff wire. Come on though it's an e30 what could possibly go wrong?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

I'm in San Diego. Spares and tools is a must as mentioned, even though I swear everything that ever broke on the car I fized with gorilla tape, wire clothes hangers, a steel pipe and a rubber hammer.

You in BMWCCA? They have that Friends of BMW thing, wouldn't hurt to get a few phone numbers from the areas your going to travel through.
      sigpic

Comment

Many thanks so far. It seems I need to put myself together a little emergency kit.

I am not a member of the BMWCCA, but was thinking of joining. this might be a good reason to do so.
        current:

Comment

3 months and 6 days to go
          current:

Comment

I would suggest stopping in St. Louis, the arch is pretty neat. Also the grand canyon.

Comment

Why are you moving to L.A.?
              Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

spare oilpan for sure. you never know.
                My feedback:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
                @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

what area on LA are u looking to move to?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                    I would suggest stopping in St. Louis, the arch is pretty neat. Also the grand canyon.
                    Would love to see the Arch. But we have our hearts set on spending some time in Tennessee, visiting it's 3 major cities, and St. Louis is a step out of the way. Now the Grand Canyon? Why the hell didn't I think of that! We take a trip out to Vegas every June, and since we'll be on the west coast this time, we plan on taking another road trip in June, which will include The Grand Canyon and the Bonneville Salt Flats.

thanks for the suggestions, keep em comin!

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
                    Why are you moving to L.A.?
                    I've lived in NYC my whole life. I love NYC but I've never lived anywhere else, and never really did much exploring. I had a band for 10 years that was keeping me here, trying to "make it big" but we just broke up and now I have nothing tying me down here, so it's time for some adventure. I realize that L.A. isnt the most "adventurous" place to move. just another big city, but it's a good compromise, I think. there is still work there for me, and my girl. I'm a professional guitarist and recording engineer. Plenty of recording studios, and musicians to play with. It's close to San Diego where my girl grew up. Plus, who can resist the beaches, palm trees, and beautiful, salt free BMW's

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
                    spare oilpan for sure. you never know.
                    Got it on the list!

Originally posted by TS323 View Post
                    what area on LA are u looking to move to?
                    Westside, anywhere from Santa Monica/Venice/Mar Vista all the way to West Hollywood, Hollywood or Los Feliz. I've even found some affordable places in the Hills. But we're open to suggestions or advice if you have any.
                    current:

Comment

I predict you'll be back in NY in less than six months. LA is a horrible city.

If you make a detour through Portland, there are lots of active guys up here that can turn a wrench :)
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I suggest doing some homework on rent prices, etc. The West side is very expensive and it seems everyone is looking for a job. While driving cross country sounds like an experience, what about selling the car, flying out here and just buying a Cali car?
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

^^
                          He's right, LA kinda sucks. Best Thai food in Socal though.
                          Last edited by e34john; 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM. Reason: lost a spot
                          sigpic

Comment

I predict you'll be back in NY in less than six months. LA is a horrible city.
                            Ha! I'm hearing that a lot lately. I get 50/50 split down the middle "LA Sucks" and "LA is great"....... It's a temporary move, and we may end up coming back to NYC sooner than later, definitely. We are even considering subletting our apartment here in Brooklyn, just incase, but thats another headache altogether.

what about selling the car, flying out here and just buying a Cali car
                            We had thought of that. But I've never seen the USA and this is a good opportunity to drive across country. But I may end up getting rid of my car and getting something cleaner once I get there. Haven't decided how attached I am to it.
                            current:

Comment

grand canyon for sure.
                              http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Working...
                              X