Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 325es or 88 325is ???

**update on page 2**

So i'm getting my first e30 and i'm gonna to be buying one of these two cars this week i found on CL.

1988 BMW 325is. Dephin gray/dark blue leather, 5-speed. Runs great. Stainless steel exhaust. Original Basket-weave alloys included in addition to steel rims shown in pictures. 210k, needs brakes, minor rust on the bottom of the doors. $1,450.00 or Best Offer.
    - got him down to 1100 cash, there's no is lip on this either

1986 BMW 325 es - 29 mpg. 85,000 miles on rebuilt top end, 200k overall, runs and looks like new. 5 speed manual tranmission. Can't open engine hood, inside cable release broke, need water pump hose. Could use clutch & pressure plate, but still drives. Battery needs charging. Garaged car, no dents or body rot, car looks exactly like referenced photo, slate gray in color. Moving down south and can't take car. $1500
    - firm on the price

I plan on building a m20 or m50 turbo motor and driving the car with the original motor ever once in a while until i get the turbo motor completed. I'm looking at the 86 today, but can't buy it until the 23rd becasue the owner is out of town. I'm checking out the 88 on Saturday mourning. I'm leaning more toward the IS at the moment. Which do you guys think is a better starting point .
    Last edited by mrmckie; 09-23-2010, 08:53 PM.
    "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
    1991 318is - the cruiser
    1989 325i - the rats nest

iS

Comment

i have had an 86es and an and 88is now and i would vote for the 88is any day but dont get me wrong i loved my es and with some cash they can be awesome cars but like i said if you want my vote go with the is
      sigpic

Comment

I would go with the is

Vinyl Lettering

Comment

sweet..i think i'm definitly going with the IS as well. i'll just look at the ES just in case.
          "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
          1991 318is - the cruiser

Comment

if you are gonna jerk the motor out anyways, get the one with the better body. Engine, trans, wiring, all are irrelevant when talking about a swap. as for the lip and all, you can change all of it over if you so desire when you have the car. Biggest turnoff for me on the iS you list is the rust on the doors.
            I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Get the '86. Early model ftw, late model ftl.
              M Coupe

Comment

like they said, get the one with the better body. the 88 is a half-assed late model with its diving board bumpers and big tails.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

^88's the best year imo. Do what you want.
                  - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
                  Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

88iS, more unique. But it all depends on the condition of them both. Get the nicer one no doubt.
                    sigpic

Comment

id say get the 86 since the body is nice and it has no rust. if your just going to pull the motor or turbo it anyways might as well start with a nice base. bumpers, suspension, lip, etc. is all interchangeable.

Comment

well, looked at 86 and man it's really clean, suspension looks a little rusty but thats no biggie.

cost wise off the bat the ES is gonna cost me a couple hundred more to work with than the 88 will in terms of motor work. hopefully the body on the IS is in good shape
                        1991 318is - the cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by mrmckie View Post
                          well, looked at 86 and man it's really clean, suspension looks a little rusty but thats no biggie.

cost wise off the bat the ES is gonna cost me a couple hundred more to work with than the 88 will in terms of motor work. hopefully the body on the IS is in good shape
                          Are you kidding me the whole motor isnt worth a couple hundred. get the es, 2.7i that mofo, pick n pull your way to victory. Pocket what you can.
                          Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Originally posted by Streichholzschächtelchen View Post
                            Are you kidding me the whole motor isnt worth a couple hundred. get the es, 2.7i that mofo, pick n pull your way to victory. Pocket what you can.
                            whats the the redline if i 2.7i the motor?
                            1991 318is - the cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by mrmckie View Post
                              whats the the redline if i 2.7i the motor?
                              2.7i's are usually 6k rev limit

its like 4900 rev limit for the eta. the biggest difference in HP come from the fact that that the intake manifold in 2/3 diameter of an "i" intake.

the eta has the feeling of instant power, but then feels gutless after 50mph.

the "i" is barely slower off the line but builds power and feels fast over 15mph.
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                              X