Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (DTM) Specs Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (DTM) Specs Please?

Does anyone have the specs for the old e30 m3 DTM cars? I'm wondering mostly about their wheels sizes and various other things...

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
    Originally posted by DTM190
    "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

There's tons of info over on s14.net, start poking around over there. The pictures of the suspension setups and adjustable control arms and everything are boner inducing.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
    '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
    '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
    '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

I'm not as concerned as the suspension right NOW, as I'm curious about wheel and tire specs. I might cruise over there, but I'm short on time and it's easier to post here and do some searching. Midterm week and my professors piled on the work, yay

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Just search for the homologation papers.

Comment

No idea what those are or how to search for em.

Comment

245 30 18 18x9 thats the size i found when i searched google
            :borg:

Comment

after seeing real DTM cars in person last year... that car is completely different from even the stock E30 M3.

It would take E90 M3 money (sedans are better) to make your E30 the same spec as a DTM car.
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
                245 30 18 18x9 thats the size i found when i searched google
                Are you sure that's not the current / soon to be current specs? I'm curious about the e30 M3 specs from back in the day. Reference "The Golden Years" DTM vid on YouTube... They don't look like they're using TONS of rubber, but they grip like crazy and slide a little bit...
                Originally posted by Eric View Post
                after seeing real DTM cars in person last year... that car is completely different from even the stock E30 M3.

It would take E90 M3 money (sedans are better) to make your E30 the same spec as a DTM car.
                I'm in no way looking to replicate a DTM car to its fullest... Simply wondering about the wheels specs since I'm currently in the process of deciding to keep my 17x8s for track use, or more likely pick up some 15x8s for track use.... I'd kill to have a real DTM car, but maybe eventually my if my car sees full track status, it'll get a DTM themed livery and I can try to do my own spin on a DTM e30.

Comment

There is a JP prepared E30 M3 on S14.net for 25K grab that.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
                    Are you sure that's not the current / soon to be current specs?
                    Yes. On the later DTM cars (early '90s), the wheels were 18x9" and the tires were 245mm wide. Not sure about the earlier (mid '80s) cars. Sounds like a lot, but it'll fit under M3 box fenders. On a non-M3 E30, 225mm is about as wide as you can go.

I'm curious about the e30 M3 specs from back in the day. Reference "The Golden Years" DTM vid on YouTube... They don't look like they're using TONS of rubber, but they grip like crazy and slide a little bit...
                    Keep in mind they made around 300hp at the rear wheels, had very short gearing, and ran 75% locking diffs. So, even with 245mm tires, they're going to be sliding.
                    sigpic
                    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

I'm in no way looking to replicate a DTM car to its fullest... Simply wondering about the wheels specs since I'm currently in the process of deciding to keep my 17x8s for track use, or more likely pick up some 15x8s for track use.... I'd kill to have a real DTM car, but maybe eventually my if my car sees full track status, it'll get a DTM themed livery and I can try to do my own spin on a DTM e30.

Without re-producing a DTM car, what is the point about the wheel tire size on those cars? The difference between a DTM E30 M3 and a 325i sedan is about as close as a ford focus is to a prosche cayman. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but the relevancy of a DTM cars tire size for your track wheel/tire setup just isn't there, especially if you are thinking of using 15's.

A better idea is to look at what tire combo's auto-x guys use, ask the track junkies what a good setup is on a 325i!

My Advice for a track tire setup is get the cheap turner 15x8 wheels and decent rubber in 225. Buy something less sticky than star specs and learn how to feel how the car moves. If you start off with uber sticky tires then you learn how to cheat with mechanical grip instead of learning how to make the car flow.

15's are cheaper to buy, cheaper to buy tires for, make the car feel lighter in acceleration, braking, steering.

17's look cool.

Again, I don't mean to sound like a dick up there, but there really isn't much in common.
                      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

lol this thread derailed... I'm not trying to replicate a DTM car.
                        I'm not trying to figure out their combo so I can put it on my car... I watched a video and was simply curious if anyone had specs...

Chances are I'll be going with the tire rack 15x8 wheels w/ 225 NT01s or RS3s... So this isn't something I'm trying to apply to my own car.

Comment

18s usually look goofy on e30s, but they looked awesome on the DTM cars.
                          I think the setup in your sig looks good..
                          I'd keep that if there's a wide enough tire selection in that size..

Comment

I like the setup in my sig, but I'm trying to weigh my options, and right now since I don't need the clearance for a BBK and I don't necessarily need the contact patch since I'm still learning to drive properly and I don't have the power to apply to meaty rubber yet, I'm thinking of selling em and going with 15s.

Comment

Also realize the spec changed every year, so it's not as simple as seeing a single list. All of the manufactures in the series were lobbying for various upgrades to gain slight advantages. We all know about the 3 evolutions that the E30 M3 received, but even in between the official evolutions, the DTM santioning body allowed some changes to allow a manufacture to get back a little performance.

E30 M3 fender flares were to allow up to 10" wide wheels, but to do so everything had to be set just so for clearance, and even then clearances between tires and fenders, etc was probably about the thickness of a playing card. Not something you would want to do on anything that might see the street.
                              Lance Richert '88 M3, #35 PRO3, i3 etc.
                              www.LanceRichertArchitect.com

2019 E30 Picnic Weekend: June 22-23 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X