Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how "stable" does your cabrio feel at high speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how "stable" does your cabrio feel at high speed?

I just realized this today. When comparing my 318is to my cabrio at highway speeds, I feel like the rear end is about to slide out even on dry roads. Since theres no rear spoiler on the cabrio, does this make much of a difference in downforce?
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

What is "high speed?" Mine is very stable though 80 or so, about as fast as I have ever had it.

Comment

my 318is is very stable at high speeds although i did have a similar problem...going past 65 my car would feel like the rear end would slide a little...i changed the subframe bushings shocks, and trailing arm bushings and everything is way better and super stable at high speeds

Comment

about 80. I've taken the 318 up to 100 and it feels very planted to the ground.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

my vert gets more stable at higher speeds. fastest Ive ever gone is 115 and it felt as solid as my coupe used to.
          harry/harout

Comment

looks like you have a spoiler too. Was it the same without a spoiler?

Comment

that was actually with the spoiler and my top down, windows up.
              harry/harout

Comment

I doubt the spoiler is where your trouble lies, inspect your rear end bushings, I'll bet they are pretty shot.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

That little spoiler isn't going to be the cause at those kind of speeds.

Even the fatty spoiler on the STI wasn't really shown to be effective until I think 130mph IIRC. It was over 100 for sure.
                  Originally posted by z31maniac
                  I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

what tires do you have and waht condition are they in?

Comment

Mine feels just fine from 60-115. Check your rear end bushings. They are shot

`92 325 vert - `90 325 coupe `99 m3 - Instagram @e30L

Comment

Extremely planted at higher speeds. I'll go with the crowd on this one and say you have suspension issues.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                        MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                        | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                          what tires do you have and waht condition are they in?
                          This is going to be my first choice

Originally posted by VacMan View Post
                          Extremely planted at higher speeds. I'll go with the crowd on this one and say you have suspension issues.
                          But I think this man has a valid point.
                          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Alignment/suspension.

Comment

mine feels fine above 100 on the highway or passing someone on a country road. you're not talking about going around curves at high speed and feeling it step out a bit are you? if you are, i would guess the tires.
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                              X