School me on the Subaru SVX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on the Subaru SVX

I friend of mine recently picked on up for a smoking deal, I'm on the fence. It seems like it has some cool features, such as the boxer 6, and some weird ones too, like the auto transmission only, and 1/2 windows. Anyone ever own one, drive one, or know much about 'em? Pic for views.

Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

People turbo them and it is possible to swap the trans. I read somewhere on HybridZ when one of the members wanted to swap that into his s30, but boxers don't fit :( I do like the body style though, classic sports car look. Almost like the 8 series, just less sexy. Read that the custom turbo versions out there can run some pretty wicked 1/4mile times considering those cars are far from light
    85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

The engine has been used on a lot of kit planes.

The rest of the car is a trash heap.

Comment

Swap a sti drive train in it
        1985 BMW 325e
        1997 BMW M3/4/5
        2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

They swap them in GC8 impreza's :D
          Wish I could have done that swap in mine..

N/A
          H-6
          320whp and 276wtq @ 8200rpm, SAE corrected

1992 subaru SVX Mods: Garrett 60-1 turbocharger (.70a/r Cold side .82 a/r hotside), 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Tial 32MM Wastegate, HKS SSQ BOV, Customer SS headers and...

boosted 5 speed swap?

Comment

subaru lost roughly $3-5k on every one of their SVXs they sold. The cost too much to make for a subaru and people didnt like them. i think they're sorta sweet though.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

230 hp--hot setup in the VW Vanagons

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
              click here for details

Comment

is his AWD or FWD? I almost bought one on a whim when I spotted a cheap, decent looking one on craigslist, but when I found out it was FWD that kinda killed it for me, I assumed they were all AWD but I was wrong.

Comment

FWD + Auto = fail in my book. Some of them were AWD though, but still all automatic. Also the thing looks just plain boring.

Comment

The first couple years they were AWD with the very fragile Auto Tranny. As the model died they made it cheaper by bringing in the FWD version. It was still too expensive and the transmission failures generated bad press. Kinda cool cars in a retro way.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the rear diffs are really weak.

Comment

The transmissions are very fragile. This should be said twice. Either swap it or plan on replacing it. They got a little better with the later models *I think*, but still not too great. So FWD + weak automatic + 3,600 pounds = meh. I like the looks though.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

A review of the SVX back in '91:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

The flat 6 is cool (sound is sex). That's about it.

Some guy has one blinged up in my parking garage:

Comment

They did wierd things with this car, just to be wierd (aka Subaru back then). An OK car to own so long as you don't drive it much. Better body design vs. the wedge shape XT of that generation. Talk about a car who's value dropped. My brother had one back in the day, he was so far upside down on his loan. Plus repairs all over the place.
                              Lance Richert '88 M3, #35 PRO3, i3 etc.
                              www.LanceRichertArchitect.com

2019 E30 Picnic Weekend: June 22-23 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X