R3v'd =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R3v'd =(

I have an 89 325is that recently sustained body damage which will undoubtedly total the car. I am not ready to move on from the E30 and I don't have the cash to buy another nice 325is, so I am looking into buying a shell and transplanting my engine/interior etc.

The only thing my car currently needs (apart from body work) is a rear wheel bearing, head gasket (although it's not leaking oil at all), and a front suspension overhaul. The engine is almost to 170k miles but pulls very strong and has received regular oil changes and timing belts etc. The interior in my car is fine as well as all the electrics so ideally I could find a similar chassis that would be relatively "easy" to swap everything into. Also my car is an auto and I would like to move to a 5-spd. Are there major suspension/structural differences between 89+ 325is and 318is?

Any tips or advice?

PS: Please do NOT ask about parts, or parting out the car. Thanks.

How bad is the damage (pics?)? We recently had a guy on here get in an accident that "totaled" his car through insurance, but after buying back the car he fixed everything for cheaper and less work than swapping everything. If the frame on your car is ok I would say keep the car, fix it, and do a tranny swap. As far as the differences between the 318 and 325 there really are none (other than the obvious engine etc). Just look at cost and time and see which ever is better for you.
    sigpic

Comment

Bad enough; I don't have full coverage. The car was totalled before I bought it, from an accident in the exact same place. The repair was "pretty good" but the paint on the hood and quarter panel was terrible, and if you open the hood some of the engine bay is a little wavy. Frame is ok but IMHO the body is trashed. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWing6
        How bad is the damage (pics?)? We recently had a guy on here get in an accident that "totaled" his car through insurance, but after buying back the car he fixed everything for cheaper and less work than swapping everything. If the frame on your car is ok I would say keep the car, fix it, and do a tranny swap. As far as the differences between the 318 and 325 there really are none (other than the obvious engine etc). Just look at cost and time and see which ever is better for you.
        Nah man, E30's are a dime a dozen, don't bother fixing a car that's been totalled twice.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
          Nah man, E30's are a dime a dozen, don't bother fixing a car that's been totalled twice.
          The first post didn't say twice totalled. I figured he might be in a situation like clavin where fixing it would be his best option.
          sigpic

Comment

e30's are NOT a dime a dozen.

Comment

Maybe you are being too picky, Holmes. There are a lot in Florida at least.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by h0lmes
                e30's are NOT a dime a dozen.
                uhhh yea they are.
                unless your a retard and a spending your whole life searching for a pristine non-molested under 5k exam with less than 100k miles. :roll:

Its not an M3, its an old 3-series. buy it, use it, spend $$ on it to fix it up.

end of story.
                Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
                X